4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new intake is in and now car runs like crap!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

Default new intake is in and now car runs like crap!!

this is one of the easiest things to do but i for some reason cannot figure out how to reconnect my throttle cable on my 2000 mustang gt. i replaced my cracked manifold the past couple of days and this is all i have left to do. My friend took it apart but does not remember how it went back together. so can some one show me a picture of how there throttle cable hooks up. oh and one more thing i need todrain and replace my coolant but were is the drain plug at? i looked in my haynes repair manual but it just says go to chapter 1 and nothing is there. thanks alot guys for the help

btw the search feature is broken ive tried searching for everything and nothing happens
Old 08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
1999mustang2000
5th Gear Member

Default RE: i cant figure this out at alll!!!

it should jus pop back on i know it did on my 99 v6 im guessin its the same o a gt
Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

thats what i would think that it would just pop back in and be good to go. but maybe im making it more comlicated then what it is. does anyone mind if they go and take a pic of how its attached so i can see. i tried searching google for pics but cant find anything remotly close to what im looking for
Old 08-08-2008, 03:28 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

the cruise control pops back on the throttle cable, you have to work around and get the cable to line up with that slot so the pin at the end of the cable can go in, its easier to show then to tell....hope that helps a little

-Pat
Old 08-08-2008, 05:17 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMan00

the cruise control pops back on the throttle cable, you have to work around and get the cable to line up with that slot so the pin at the end of the cable can go in, its easier to show then to tell....hope that helps a little

-Pat

thanks alot man i really appreciate the help i just sat there and messed around with it forever till i saw how it went and it just kinda slid into place. now that i have everything connected i started my car for the first time since last thursday when i cracked the ****ty intake manifold. when i took it out for a test drive i noticed that when i try and go from a stop my car kinda sputters and i have to give it more gas so i can get up and go. what do you think would cause this?? My car did sit for an entire week and i was thinking itll get back to normal once i drive it some more and get all the build up out of the injectors.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

well i took it out again for another run and as soon as i started it it sounds like its struggling to stay alive like i have a bad fuel leak. i didnt have enough money to replace the o-rings on my injectors. Do you think thats why my car doesn't run as great as it did before my intake cracked on me?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 AM
tspoon965

Radiator drain is located on the right hand side of the radiator, on the side of the tank near the bottom. Best seen by sliding under the right front side and looking up a tthe radiator.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Did you unhook the battery before you did all this? Since you installed an aftermarket intake the CFM's are probably higher. I would unhook the battery overnight and rehook it in the morning and let your car run for a round 30 minutes to let the computer relearn your idle.

John
Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novanutcase
Did you unhook the battery before you did all this? Since you installed an aftermarket intake the CFM's are probably higher. I would unhook the battery overnight and rehook it in the morning and let your car run for a round 30 minutes to let the computer relearn your idle.

John
yea that was the first thing i did when i did the swap was unhook the negative battery cable. im about to go out and replace my o-rings on the injectors and replace the spark plugs and hopefully that helps. im just hoping that the intake is sealed right and doesnt have a leak.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mex69
yea that was the first thing i did when i did the swap was unhook the negative battery cable. im about to go out and replace my o-rings on the injectors and replace the spark plugs and hopefully that helps. im just hoping that the intake is sealed right and doesnt have a leak.
Did you follow Tq specs and tightening order? If you did, then you wont have a leak. If you didn't start over and hope you didn't crack the new intake.

Gook Luck

Last edited by Sxynerd; 08-13-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: new intake is in and now car runs like crap!!