4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1999 Ford mustang gt clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:22 PM
ggeezy
1st Gear Member

Default 1999 Ford mustang gt clutch questions

I have a 99 ford mustang gt....5 speed....96,000 miles.... one day i was driving and shifted to 2nd gear and it wouldnt go in..... after this happend, i could not get the car in any gear while the car was running. but after u shut the car off, u can put it in whatever gear u want, but when u started it, u couldnt shift out of that gear....than i learned how to drive it by getting the car to a certain rpm for it to shift and when u hit that shift point, u could shift it but it was tight....than recently i was driving it and all the sudden it started shifting at any rpm but i noticed the car was slowing down...now i can get it in any gear started and shift into any gear in place but reverse(reverse grinds) but the car wont pull out at all and had a clanking noise from the bottom for a second..... is this the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing....or the transmission, or just the clutch cable.... i have had people tell me different things it could be.....so any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Holy crap. It's not your cable. that's all I can say. I have a 2000.. and my reverse grinds too dont worry.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Reverse doesn't have a syncro in our trannies , thats why it grinds. Always pop it into first then into reverse and you won't hear it.

Sounds like a good time to get a clutch, my stocker only lasted 55k miles, and mine EXPLODED. If your clutch IS jacked (which it sounds like), the longer you wait, the more likely youll damage your input shaft on your tranny.

If you do, get a stage 2, my stage 1 is meh.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:35 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by ggeezy
but the car wont pull out at all and had a clanking noise from the bottom for a second..... is this the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing....
Sounds like the pressure plate bolts have loosened up
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ggeezy
I have a 99 ford mustang gt....5 speed....96,000 miles.... one day i was driving and shifted to 2nd gear and it wouldnt go in..... after this happend, i could not get the car in any gear while the car was running. but after u shut the car off, u can put it in whatever gear u want, but when u started it, u couldnt shift out of that gear....than i learned how to drive it by getting the car to a certain rpm for it to shift and when u hit that shift point, u could shift it but it was tight....than recently i was driving it and all the sudden it started shifting at any rpm but i noticed the car was slowing down...now i can get it in any gear started and shift into any gear in place but reverse(reverse grinds) but the car wont pull out at all and had a clanking noise from the bottom for a second..... is this the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing....or the transmission, or just the clutch cable.... i have had people tell me different things it could be.....so any help would be appreciated!!!
why didnt you try to adjust the cable first?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
ggeezy
1st Gear Member

i did try and adjust the cable but nothing happend....i pulled the clutch
today and am puttin in a sach clutch...are these any good....its the only one i could find that was in stock