4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

retune with water/meth injection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

Default retune with water/meth injection?

so i put on my vortech last week. tune is good nothing too aggressive and not too consevative either.

im adding a water/meth kit this week ONLY to keep the intake temp cool the on mutiple back to back runs if i have to. So my ? is do i have to go back to my tuner and retune the whole damn thing?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

id imagine it would help. i doubt you HAVE to, but to get your moneys worth you proble should. just save the tune u have now for when u run out of the meth....BTW how long does a tank of that stuff last? or does it like recycle itself?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

yea i know that to get the most out of it i should have it retuned to advance timing whenever its spraying it but with my stock block im really not interested in more power just yet, i just want to prevent any knocking/detonation if all possible.

i heard it uses about 1/8 of the little tank it comes with per run. the tank looks to be about 2 quarts? dunno see pics at snowperformance.net
Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

A retune is a MUST!! Make sure your tuner knows how to do this as you may loose power if not tuned correctly!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

oh ok... can you explain to me why its a MUST? (sorry ima n00b, i thought it just cools the air). i guess ill just put it off till next month.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by avexhype
oh ok... can you explain to me why its a MUST? (sorry ima n00b, i thought it just cools the air). i guess ill just put it off till next month.
Because just spraying water/meth is gonna drop your A/F ratio causing a rich condition during boost and that's gonna hurt your power if you do not have a dyno/tune to readjust these variables
Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Here is my suggestion to you. Don't buy a snow performance kit. Call AIS and get their kit. I see that you are not running an intercooler so I suggest you spray straight meth before the blower. It will cool the intake charge so much that an actual intercooler would be obsolete. It should drop your intake charge 130*-150*. I would also suggest swithcing over to a blowthru maf or at a minimum relocate the IAT sensor. (you have to relocate the IAT no matter where you spray meth)

You must get retuned when spraying meth.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:52 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Why would you recommend before the blower? Wouldn't it drop the IAT much more spraying after the blower? I'm not arguing since I know very little about meth injection, just curious. This contradicts everything I've heard about it.

And definitely needs to convert to a blow thru or at least relocate the IAT to after the maeth injection poit so that the Comp sees the actual temp.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

On your setup you should spray after the blower but before the IAT. I have been running this type setup for well over a year with no problems at all and have seen fantastic power gains!!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Fobra
Banned

well ill be the odd ball and suggest an air to air and cryo that if you want to

Quick Reply: retune with water/meth injection?