4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:16 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

Default I need help asap!

Alright i just got done putting my tranny in and i went for a test drive. As soon as I started the engine it made a weird noise. It's similar to like when kids put a baseball card on their spokes and ride their bicycle (except louder). Is it possible for the flywheel and starter to not mesh up and to be hitting each other? It gets faster when rpm's increase.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You need to give a better discription of where the sound is coming from.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

alright i went back out this morning put it up on ramps and got underneath it. the noise is coming from inside the bellhousing and it drectly correlates to the engine speed. That makes me think it's gotta be something with the flywheel.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by medrick
alright i went back out this morning put it up on ramps and got underneath it. the noise is coming from inside the bellhousing and it drectly correlates to the engine speed. That makes me think it's gotta be something with the flywheel.
I would tend to agree.. either way I would bet that the tranny is coming back out.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

yeah and thats the sh1tty part cause i've got longtubes and they are no fun to pull off and put back on. makes a hour and a half tranny job 6 hours.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Have you tried to drive it yet? Does the noise stop when you push in the clutch?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

yeah i drove it around the block. same thing. noise is there with the clutch in and out. i took it up to 3k just to make sure and the noise was a lot faster. do you hav any ideas? I just cant wrap my head around what could possibly make this noise. I'm gonna have to pull it back out tomorrow on my day off so i wanting to know what to look for. I had the tranny rebuilt about 4 months ago put it in myself and no problems until the synchro went out again in 4th so i pulled it last week had them fix it and put it in last night and now this.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
Have you tried to drive it yet? Does the noise stop when you push in the clutch?

Good question and to add to it, what was the reason for taking it out in the first place? did you change anything? I would tend to believe that the noise is one of two things, throw out bearing, or pressure plate. Then again, there's a slim chance maybe the cable is not letting the clutch to engage all the way, once you disconnect the cable from the tranny the self adjuster automatically pulls in what slack it can. Did you adjust the quadurant?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

i originally took it out because the 3/4 shifter fork broke. when i took it out the first time i put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. the second time yesterday i put in a new pilot bearing but left everything else alone. i adjusted the clutch cable underneath and then made some final adjustments on the firewall adjuster.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by medrick
i originally took it out because the 3/4 shifter fork broke. when i took it out the first time i put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. the second time yesterday i put in a new pilot bearing but left everything else alone. i adjusted the clutch cable underneath and then made some final adjustments on the firewall adjuster.

hmm, well none of that makes much sense, the only place I can point my finger at now is the shop who just fixed it, they may have tried to hurry up because it was the second time they had messed with it. They may have screwed something up inside this time.

Quick Reply: I need help asap!