4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.1L Stroker Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

lies my ***, i know that guy fairly well, and know the car too... procharged 2v's were a joke for him, the 126mph evo, saw that race...

back on topic, a stroker is a bad *** way to go, but what the **** do you expect to happen when all u change is the bottom end? a differance? sure, a huge one? no... in doing a stroker your going to want to get atleast a little head work done, if not a set of stage3 whoevers... your going to need bigger cams to feed the motor, etc etc etc...lets think ppl.

and whoever said more wear and tare because the skirt leaves the bore... your retarded. there is a little more wear but thats because the piston is traveling faster at any given rpm. but as for the skirt leaving the bore... thats very common, look at 9 out of 10 "built" motors... youll see piston skirts leaving the bottom of the bore... hell, look at any stroked 5.0L and tell me what you see at BDC.

i can keep goin but **** it, half of yall will just argue anyway, when i did this everyday for quite a while, and will be again shortly.

bottom line, stroke the damn thing, but make sure the top end can back it up
Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I have seen mildly modded stroked 4.6's pull similar number as mildly modded standard stoke and bore. 10inch stated it correctly as he normally does, about it helping but there's a little more I'd like to add.

If you are lightly modded and have a stroker kit the numbers will be slightly higher but when you get into higher modification, blowers, turbo's, 150+ shots of nitrous that's where the power gain is really being felt and dyno'd. Anything helps but if you're just stroking it to stroke it with very little mods, don't expect a miracle. It's a small engine, not a big pushrod.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I have seen mildly modded stroked 4.6's pull similar number as mildly modded standard stoke and bore. 10inch stated it correctly as he normally does, about it helping but there's a little more I'd like to add.

If you are lightly modded and have a stroker kit the numbers will be slightly higher but when you get into higher modification, blowers, turbo's, 150+ shots of nitrous that's where the power gain is really being felt and dyno'd. Anything helps but if you're just stroking it to stroke it with very little mods, don't expect a miracle. It's a small engine, not a big pushrod.
Exactly....Thats why I said if you wanna do it, do it right...

Get a good block, stroke it, get asmuch head work as you can afford and get some nasty cams in there... The car will run its *** off, and thats just a VAGUE description.. People who see like next to nothing are people that throw just the stroker **** in with no supporting mods and act like they just boosted the car... sorry not the same thing
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Perf_white_GT
and those people are stupid...

stroker kits ARE worth it...
and you're a dumba$$. i built a 5.0 stroker with stage 2 patriot heads, stage 2 comp cams, and went with 10:1 compression, and i only put 331 to the rear wheels, $8000 later. the only nice thing about my motor is that it's all forged, so when i get my charger next year, i can crank the boost way up. as far as power goes, strokers dont do **** for the 2v's
Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 PM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
lies my ***, i know that guy fairly well, and know the car too... procharged 2v's were a joke for him, the 126mph evo, saw that race...

back on topic, a stroker is a bad *** way to go, but what the **** do you expect to happen when all u change is the bottom end? a differance? sure, a huge one? no... in doing a stroker your going to want to get atleast a little head work done, if not a set of stage3 whoevers... your going to need bigger cams to feed the motor, etc etc etc...lets think ppl.

and whoever said more wear and tare because the skirt leaves the bore... your retarded. there is a little more wear but thats because the piston is traveling faster at any given rpm. but as for the skirt leaving the bore... thats very common, look at 9 out of 10 "built" motors... youll see piston skirts leaving the bottom of the bore... hell, look at any stroked 5.0L and tell me what you see at BDC.

i can keep goin but **** it, half of yall will just argue anyway, when i did this everyday for quite a while, and will be again shortly.

bottom line, stroke the damn thing, but make sure the top end can back it up
stage 3 heads are too much for a n/a motor, stroked or not. unless you're pushing some serious boost, you're not going to gain anything from them, if not lose some.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to throw my .02 in here...

Modular strokers are a touchy subject, no doubt, but there's no reason at ALL to resort to name-calling. If you don't have NUMBERS or FACTS to back up your position, STFD and STFU.

I just bought a forged stroker (spec'd to .030 over with a long crank). Why did I do that, when I could've spent the money on a blower or whatnot? Simple. My goal is 850rwhp and close to 1000rwtq, WITH a 2V. I'm not planning on this being just a 'bolt-on' car, so I'm going to use every means at my disposal to make this goal more attainable.

Note: I've been researching this particular subject for the last 2 years, and am an engineering student. I've talked to real-world performance mechanics, and run the simulations myself. I don't expect my bored/stroked motor to spin 10k rpm, but 6500 or 7k isn't unreasonable, provided a good oiling system and valvetrain equipment are used.
My combo is going to feature a rather nasty blower, so I knew that I was going to need a stout bottom end, and I figured, since I was going to be rebuilding the motor anyway, let's DO this... A friend of mine (mechanic) had a motor already built for a dumb kid (rainy weather is NO time to test out a new motor/turbo setup), and it was exactly what I was looking for, and the price was right.

Long story short, I'm not expecting this motor to make a bizillion hp just by throwing it in the car. On the contrary, I'm expecting minimal hp gains vs the N/A combo I have now, while naturally aspirated. I expect to see some serious gains once my power adder is on, all the supporting mods installed, and the thing is tuned.

If you're going the stroker route, I'd strongly suggest adjustable cam gears, since your valve events are going to be more important with the increased displacement. I'd also recommend that you do everything you MIGHT want to do while the motor is out of the car, whether it's cleaning the bay, changing exhaust, clutch/stall, ANYTHING. A motor is not something that you want to pull twice. Ported heads are a MUST, not an option. I've had VERY good luck with my VT Stage 2 heads (VT Competition Engine Development is alive and well, by the way) and Stage 2 N/A cams. 310 rear wheel hp, and 340 rear wheel tq on a stock bottom end isn't too shabby for a N/A 2V, IMHO.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

What type of intake manifold are you running jsmarsh25?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Perf_white_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsmarsh25
and you're a dumba$$. i built a 5.0 stroker with stage 2 patriot heads, stage 2 comp cams, and went with 10:1 compression, and i only put 331 to the rear wheels, $8000 later. the only nice thing about my motor is that it's all forged, so when i get my charger next year, i can crank the boost way up. as far as power goes, strokers dont do **** for the 2v's
Why do people worry about HP... stroker kits are not meant to increase HP... its TORQUE that you should be after... thats what gets your *** off the line...
Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

reminds me of a famous quote by Carroll Shelby "Horsepower is what sells cars, torque is what wins races."
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defconfire
reminds me of a famous quote by Carroll Shelby "Horsepower is what sells cars, torque is what wins races."

"Horsepower is what you read about, Torque is what you feel"

Are you serious? "I saw car A beat car B so I can tell you what car A traps in the 1/4"?????

Thats some serious ricer math going on there. Anything can happen on the street. Procharged 2v's are no problem for me either (at the track) and I can TELL YOU I trapped 155mph in the 1/8. But it's not true. Just think about what you are saying.

Quick Reply: 5.1L Stroker Kit?