4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

upgrading to HID. help/thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:00 AM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

Default upgrading to HID. help/thoughts?

not too long ago i bought new blacked out/smoked fog/headlight assemblies for my stang (03 gt) off ebay. they hold up just great but im getting tired of squinting at night with the dimness of my lights. i already had silverstar bulbs in before i got the new fixtures, so its now time to upgrade to HID. im liking the 8000k kits, love the color. I primarily want the headlights for visibility but obviously looks are important too. im comparing kits from american muscle and stangmods.com. as far as i can tell the kit from AM is a 8000k dual beam kit. i DO want the dual beam. im going to be doing the fog lights as well. does anybody have any experience with the 8000k conversion kit from either site or swapping to HIDs in general? feedback would be appreciated. additionally, i have already upgraded my alternator to a 200amp alternator and i have a yellow top optima battery. i also have a capacitor for my stereo system if that makes any difference. ive read numerous threads how HIDs draw more power than the stock lights and i want to do this right the first time. i have the discount code for AM, but does anybody know the code for stangmods? thanks in advance guys
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
GatorDude_97_GT
1st Gear Member

whats the discount code for AM? i need a few more bucks to buy the JLT cai... wondering if it was like a general code for anything... thanks bro... and damn... optima batteries are ridiculously expensive ha
Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

i was told hid's draw less power. i put them in my truck. they are really easy to do just plug and play. i prefer 6k but that doesnt matter. check this site out. www.vvme.com. they have the dual filament ones for like 80 bucks.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GatorDude_97_GT
whats the discount code for AM? i need a few more bucks to buy the JLT cai... wondering if it was like a general code for anything... thanks bro... and damn... optima batteries are ridiculously expensive ha
you need to pm amnick. he is the one that gives it to everybody and asks that no one tell anybody else so it doesnt get spread around.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
GatorDude_97_GT
1st Gear Member

thanks medrick i appreciate it bro... how much is the discount anyways? cuz im in college man and anything helps...
Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 AM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

The HIDs should draw less power, thats one of there selling points. i know a few people to put them in and they are not that hard, the conversion kit from either of those sites has everything you need
Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

i wrote that backwards. the HIDs draw LESS power, you're right guys. i have been told how easy these are to install.. the hardest part will part will be getting underneath the car..now is there a stangmods rep that can give me the discount code? cuz im ready to buy em. i appreciate the quick responses guys. thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
bluedemon013

If you want the HID's for visibility, I would say get the 6k. I passed through the same thing. I smoked my headlights and I could not see Sh!* THen I decided to purchase some HIDs, but I got the 8K. I drive a lot on freeway and I'm thinking of getting the 6k, althought the color in the 8k looks great! So if you want visibility get the 6K, or if you want looks go for the 8k!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

if you are going for visibility go for the 4300k kit, the lower the temperature the more light it emits. I'd also recommend looking into a headlight retrofit as our stock housings cause a ton of glare.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

I got my 6K from stangmods. Its a dual beam. AMs is pretty much the same exact thing. According to stangmods, the lighting was not TOO affected with headlight tint. Theres a pic of a mach 1 with tinted headlights and hids

Quick Reply: upgrading to HID. help/thoughts?