4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem shifting to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Well thats what I thought. So in the 5 total passes I made, I tried everything. shifting fast, shifting slow. It just wouldn't go in

I hold the shifter on the side and push from the bottom to go to 3rd. I am sure I didn't put it to 1st because I tried doing it slowly and all. This is how I shift on the street too with no problems
Old 09-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default Same Problem

I had the same problem that you had. I could not for the love of me hit third under full throttle. Solution: Hearst Short Throw Shifter! I bought it off of e-bay for less than a hundred bucks. Now, know matter how much I get down on it, I don't miss third.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:32 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Really? ****. I bought my MGW with a nice FRPP now and I absoutely LOVED it, until last night. I guess I have no choice if the shifter itself is the problem, but I've never heard of it before, MGW is suppose to be one of the best.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 PM
sn8kebite
1st Gear Member

go out and drive the car now, is it still doing it? Does the tranny ever pop out of gear on you when you are driving?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Well I can't try it right now cause theres a lot of cars out and I live in a dense area. This place is also cop central. I'll try it later tonight, but I can guarantee in terms of regular driving that it will shift fine. If I gun it again on the freeway ramp like I did last night then it will probably do the same thing.

Nope I've never ever had a problem with the shifter poping out of gear. I spent a lot of time installing it and following the instructions right. I didn't even use the shift stops because I have been extensively advised not to. Everything feels CRISP for the entire time I had this MGW. Just not last night at the track.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 PM
max427
2nd Gear Member

i want to help, but first: wow that 60' is awful...
i ran a 13.2 quarter on a sprayed 04' GT, so im no profesh driver either

What i was doing and how i corrected it was 1, i moved the seat up so i wasn't really reaching for third, and 2, when i went for third i was way wide right and hit either a stop or hit 5th and grinded. i ordered a tri-ax anyway, but since i've started shifting in almost a straight up motion from second, allowing the natural path of the shifter to get me to third, too positive a rightward motion could be causing your miss.

just a thought.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm very aware of the rightward motion and how I could just be swinging it to 5th but I made sure I wasn't. Like I said whether I do it as fast as can or just slower, it wouldn't go.

I know I am not putting it into 5th for sure.

I know my 60' wasn't a world record, frankly I probably shouldn't have posted it because everyone now is talking about that and not my real problem.

Brandon
Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Can anyone else shed some light over this issue?

And if I have to resort to the Hurst, can I use it with a stock shift ****? I have an FRPP aftermarket one but it is to stock specs.

And is this the one you are speaking of soldier GT?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurst...mZ360085262061

What other Hurst shifters work with my car? I went on their site but unlike MGW's plain and simple one, they have like 1000 shifters
Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

I've experienced the same thing with MGW shifters, switch to a tri ax and you wont have any problems.

By chance, when you put in that top loader did you change the fluid in tranny? Theres mercon in those for a reason...

If you put gear oil in there the load is going to be nuts, it's gonna fight you like crazy when you try to power shift.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

tranny fluid....I've never changed it yet. I bought the car from carmax about 4 months ago and so far put alittle over 1000 miles on it...

what do you mean top loader?

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 09-06-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Problem shifting to 3rd