4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem shifting to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Problem shifting to 3rd

So I went to the 1/8 mile strip today and it was my first time ever. All I can say is it was ****ing crazy ****. The only thing that was going through my mind was that I am seeing everything I see on TV but in real life. It was great and I had a blast.

It was crowded and all but I still managed to make 5 passes. My first pass ever went by like NOTHING literally. It felt like it went back in half a second.

But in all of my 5 runs I consistantly had the same problem, I couldn't get into third. No matter if I do it quick or slowly, it just wouldn't go in. Only after a long while after I have the clutch down, then it would go into 3rd. But by then I would have almost reached the finish line already.

This caused me to coast to the finish line for quite a long stretch of track.

I have an MGW short shifter and I've had it on for a while now with absoutely no problems on the road, even when I have occasionally tried shifting 2-3 at like 5000rpm.

My best time ended up to be a joke 10.316.

R/T 6.337
60' 2.566
330' 6.785
1/8 10.316 @ 69.41mph

I know because it was my first time that I wouldn't do that great, but I didn't think I would have done THAT bad. I wasn't worrying about my R/T times. I was just going for ET like everyone else. However in this run, I was stupidly fixing my carpet mat because it was getting in the way of the clutch and I forgot to put it to 1st once the light turned green lol.

So does anyone know what is the causing me not being able to go into 3rd?

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 09-05-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:16 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry man, not trying to sound like an a-hole... but it may just be a driver mod issue judging your 60' and 1/8th mile time. Because third can be tricky at times, I still do it from time to time. But, if you generally don't have any issues with driving, how many miles are on your car.

ps I'd be pissed to run that time with my non-pi 215crank hp convertible. Keep on practicing man.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 AM
mightymouse0786

good lord thats a ****ty time, even for the first time out. If i were you i would quit drag racing now sell your car, get a mini van and learn to bake cookies or something... christ..
Old 09-05-2008, 03:51 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. As you guys evidently did not read, I couldn't get into third, whether fast or slow. I ended up coasting a long stretch of track.

Now, can anyone help me out with some realistic advice rather than to sell my car and bake cookies? seriously?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

after the track did you have the same problem? has it continued?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Well after the track I drove around my neighborhood and stopped on the freeway ramp (there were like no cars of course) and gunned it. The same thing happened, it just does not go into 3rd. It's like slamming metal to metal. It just won't go. When I did it the second time, when I am in 2nd and reaching 6000rpm's, if I push in the clutch and wait a few seconds, THEN it will go to 3rd.

When I drive normally there are no problems at all.

Ford 88, my car has about 27,800 miles on it.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:38 PM
sn8kebite
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mightymouse0786
good lord thats a ****ty time, even for the first time out. If i were you i would quit drag racing now sell your car, get a mini van and learn to bake cookies or something... christ..

You sound like a retard, just a FYI.

To the OP: Your 60 foot time is really killing you. I doubt this is it, because many others have had good luck, but did you ever consider it may be the shifter? Were u able to hit 3rd with the stocker? When i drove my friends car with the MGW shifter i would never be able to find 3rd. With my tri ax, i never miss... just a thought.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Hey,

Well this was my first time going to a track ever. So I've never tried using the stock shifter. However, I HIGHLY doubt it is the shifter because I put it in myself and ever since 1-2 months ago when I did so, the shifting has been VERY smooth and crisp on the streets. Like I said, even occasionally when I run on the street and shift hard, I never seem to have a problem.

On the track yesterday like I said, it literally felt like I was slamming metal to metal and trying to get them to go through one another. It just wouldn't go into third. I felt like a retard coasting to the finish line...

Brandon
Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

the 10.3 was also my best time of the night. That was only because I managed to get it to 3rd like 20 feet before the finish line. My other times were worse. I almost don't even want to say it. I almost did 11 seconds.

I admit theres nothing wrong with the shifter in terms of my 60 foot times. I just need better tires and more importantly, learn how to launch better. But theres no point practicing anything if I just can't hit 3rd gear
Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
sn8kebite
1st Gear Member

You were probably very excited, being it was your first time. Were you RAPING the shifter? How are you shifting into 3rd? open palm?

Quick Reply: Problem shifting to 3rd