4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TT or SC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 05:23 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TT or SC?

ORIGINAL: ReVz
whats some good websites to look in to tt kits and SC's? and also.. which would be better to have for my 04 auto GT?
Depends on where you want your power at.

ORIGINAL: code3GT
A forged bottom end would be good.
His stock bottom end won't work? What if he decides to stick to 12psi. Just because you have boost doesn't mean your parts have to be super tough.

ORIGINAL: David_K
Supercharger man. forget about all that turbo lag
He isn't talking about running two turbos from the 70's. We do get little lag now days with the new technology. Yes, it is still there, but not as much.

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
ORIGINAL: David_K
Nothing cou7ld be further from the truth. all turbos no matter hopw small have turbo lag. and since turbochargers only make peak horsepower a s/c is much more reasonable and cost effective. have you ever seen a turbo dyno chart that has a high flat torque curve like a kenne bell
This is the typical anti turbo crap that floats around on this forum. Every single time the turbo car is going to win, everything else being equal.

BTW, turbo cars make TONS of torque, even compared to the mighty KB. They are making something like 450 RWHP and 520 RWTQ on a stock bottom end GT with a stage 1 kit. Try that on a stock block GT with a KB, not happenin.

Have you not seen the KB vs TT videos with the 03 cobras? To say that the TTs are raping them is not doing the TT justice. Heres a little link for you. Please notice that the KB cobra is at 17 PSI, while the turbo mustang is running 15 PSI. The KB gets about a carlength jump, and then its all over sally. Please also notice that he is running a big single turbo, instead of a set of twins, which would spool much much faster.

http://www.twinturbostang.com/misc/t...tangvskb03.wmv

Webpage where they are discussing the same thing we are (and where I got link) : http://www.inductionconcepts.com/for...ead.php?t=1447

BTW, on page 2 is a link to a dyno of a built turbo car. Notice the torque curve, its a monster.

On a stock bottom end GT (like what he is asking about) the turbo is going to be fairly small. The lag is going to be hardly noticable, and what little you do notice will be forgotten when you pass that KB car like they slammed it in reverse.

Turbos are the kings of horsepower. They are also the kings of draining your wallet (a good TT installed can run over 7K).
Also notice, the turbo'd fox body is alot lighter than the '03 Cobra.
While I do share your enthusiasm for turbos & Everything you say is the truth, you can't leave out many factors with that race. Weight definetly, not to mention the fox might have more modifications. If two of the same cars were lined up, one turbo, one supercharged(doesn't matter what type) the supercharged car would get the jump, but the turbocharged car would quickly catch up & anihalate it.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:35 PM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

Forged internals are only rated to 700-750HP! That is why I'm going with billet internals. VT is going to be building me my short block with billet internals rated at well over 1000HP. My thought is if you're gonna do it.....do it once and do it right! JMO!!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:08 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

My past cars have been turbocharged and yes it was fun haveing a bov SINCE AUSTIN IS ALL 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS but i prefer my s/c i had a hummer turbo diesel 300zx twin turbo and a audi a4 all were fun but got very annoying no low end torque at all. save for the 300zx but thats just b/c nissan makes killer engines
Old 05-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

whats some good websites to look in to tt kits and SC's? and also.. which would be better to have for my 04 auto GT?
There is no logical reason to do TT's on a stock bottom end and stock cams. PERIOD.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:18 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

There is no logical reason to do TT's on a stock bottom end and stock cams. PERIOD.
Wrong. Every single time, a stock bottom end GT with a set of turbos will rape a stock bottom end GT with a blower. They have competely STOCK GTs, down to the exaust and T/B, making 425~RWHP and 500 Ft/Lbs on just a set of TTs. There is no charger built that will make this kind of power safely without extensive modifications. I wouldn't expect to make more than 380 RWHP and MAYBE 400 Ft/Lbs from a 8PSI blower on a otherwise stock car.

A Turbo will develop more power to the wheels and have faster ETs than a supercharged car, no matter what the setup is. Blowers are highly inefficent (sucking 50-60 percent of the power they add to run the belt) compared to turbochargers. You can run less boost and make more power. Not to mention the insane torque gains. I know that on the other post you said that the blower drag was insignficant, but I cannot see how someone who claims to be a professional drag racer can even make a statement like that. Every bit of the power the blower is stealing to run the drive, the turbo is putting down to the wheels.

If you still don't buy into the turbo thing, I suggest you go pick up a copy of MM&FF from about 3 months ago. They did a blower/turbo contest on a 03 cobra motor (engine dyno). The TTs simply walked away from everything else. I am talking in the neighborhood of like 150+ more HP peak. They were down on power from the eaton and even the centrifigual until about 3000 RPM, and then look out. If I had a scanner I would post the pics for ya.

Another point. Have you ever seen the restrictions on the turbo cars in virtually all of the mustang drag race classes? They have tons of restrictions on them just to make sure they don't blow everyone else out of the water. Turbo size, injector size, wieght restrictions that are more strict per CI than the supercharged cars, the list goes on.

Turbo>supercharger. Now, if I could only find someone to lend me the 7 grand for the TT kit
Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: just got in my headers!!!

ORIGINAL: 04gtmatt

hey guys whats up. i just got my headers today.mac long tubes brand new shipped for 300.00. i was wondering what mid pipe to go with(no cats) and after cat. i want it loud at wot but qiuet at idle

why don't you like the BBK Offroad X -pipe? i love mine.
I wouldn't really recommend the BBK o/r X, but I LOVE my magnaflows. If your going catless, and you want a quiet at idle loud at WOT car, go with magnas, thats pretty much how I describe my car.

I would either go with bassani or maybe a magnaflow x. I only recommend magna for the x because the aftercat was of such high quailty and so easy to install.

Remeber with LTs you need a SHORTIE x.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:36 PM
GT_dOc
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: just got in my headers!!!

Well if your going to get a single turbo, TT, or a s/c your going to want to replace the internals in your engine. Not saying you have to and not saying your going to blow your engine (unless your running over like 8psi and get on it alot lol), but just on either one you should highly recommend replacing those internals because over a period of time all of that heat that is being produced is going to wear down on those pistons and make them more likely to break so with forged parts your not going to have nearly as bad of a problem in the long run and in the short run and you will be able to run more boost and produce alot more hp and tq. And in the opinion on the s/c or turbo, get either one because I know youll be happy with either one lol I know i would.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:22 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

Wrong. Every single time, a stock bottom end GT with a set of turbos will rape a stock bottom end GT with a blower. They have competely STOCK GTs, down to the exaust and T/B, making 425~RWHP and 500 Ft/Lbs on just a set of TTs. There is no charger built that will make this kind of power safely without extensive modifications. I wouldn't expect to make more than 380 RWHP and MAYBE 400 Ft/Lbs from a 8PSI blower on a otherwise stock car.

A Turbo will develop more power to the wheels and have faster ETs than a supercharged car, no matter what the setup is. Blowers are highly inefficent (sucking 50-60 percent of the power they add to run the belt) compared to turbochargers. You can run less boost and make more power. Not to mention the insane torque gains. I know that on the other post you said that the blower drag was insignficant, but I cannot see how someone who claims to be a professional drag racer can even make a statement like that. Every bit of the power the blower is stealing to run the drive, the turbo is putting down to the wheels.

If you still don't buy into the turbo thing, I suggest you go pick up a copy of MM&FF from about 3 months ago. They did a blower/turbo contest on a 03 cobra motor (engine dyno). The TTs simply walked away from everything else. I am talking in the neighborhood of like 150+ more HP peak. They were down on power from the eaton and even the centrifigual until about 3000 RPM, and then look out. If I had a scanner I would post the pics for ya.

Another point. Have you ever seen the restrictions on the turbo cars in virtually all of the mustang drag race classes? They have tons of restrictions on them just to make sure they don't blow everyone else out of the water. Turbo size, injector size, wieght restrictions that are more strict per CI than the supercharged cars, the list goes on.

Turbo>supercharger. Now, if I could only find someone to lend me the 7 grand for the TT kit

Dude you need to chill out. I have yet to find a nice example of a domestic car with a V8 and Twin turbos. ITs not practical you can stick a s/c or TT on a stock engine and still would only be able to run 8-9 psi. and a s/c would reach those psi levels faster than a turbo could save maybe for a pair of T25 (stock turbo on the eclipse)
Old 05-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

You STILL don't get it. I do buy into the turbo thing, just not on stock cams and stock internals. In the same article you mentioned, look at the centrifugal blower hp curve. Boost comes in smoother, sooner, and pulls like a turbo set-up to redline. Also, take a good look at the turbo hp curve. Look how much sooner boost comes in in the centrifugal car, not to mention the twin screw vs. the turbo setup. You aren't making any real boost until 3500 rpm's. If you are going to shift your car at 5500 rpm's, it only gives you a 2000 rpm boost range. Now with aftermarket cams, it would help that boost rpm range considerably, but we're not talking about aftermarket cams, we're talking stock. Look at the price difference to run a centrifugal blower vs. TT's. Tuning a centrifugal car is also easier than trying to tune a turbo set-up. The article you mentioned only backs up my point even further. It is far more locical, for all the reasons I have just mentioned, to do a blower on a stock gt over a turbo set-up. PERIOD. And P.S. ...........
This statement proves you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:20 AM
650ChargedSTang
1st Gear Member

i would go with the SC.. be better for an auto