4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

have nitrous now dyno tune or by wideband and a handheld

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

Default have nitrous now dyno tune or by wideband and a handheld

i have nitrous express plate system and have been running a 50 shot and now want to run 100 shot have tr6 plugs gaped at 44 fuel pressure gauge and low pressure cut off switch also have svt focus pump thougt about getting a handheld sct3 and a wideband since i have not done any other mods just went straight to the nitrous and i want to do some other mods before i spend the money at the dyno for tune i feel like i can get the tuner and have a wideband and be ok what would be good to do?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

correct me if im wrong but i beleive u will need a wideband meter and o2 sensor to achieve a correct tune
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Racing2fast
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tempoffroad
i have nitrous express plate system and have been running a 50 shot and now want to run 100 shot have tr6 plugs gaped at 44 fuel pressure gauge and low pressure cut off switch also have svt focus pump thougt about getting a handheld sct3 and a wideband since i have not done any other mods just went straight to the nitrous and i want to do some other mods before i spend the money at the dyno for tune i feel like i can get the tuner and have a wideband and be ok what would be good to do?

Find out if the local dyno-tuner will cut your a break on price for re-tunes down the rd.

My opinion is to get a dynotune.... that's the safest way to go, and will net you the most possible HP/TRQ at the safest levels your car can handle.

I also have a NX kit, w/ 100shot.... I didnt know that my fuel pump was pegging out, and that my bat volts were low...even with a new bat! Until we put it on the DYNO! The Dyno will tell you more than that hand-help can! In my situation it was 250 for a dyno-tune, and then 50 bucks down the rd for retune!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:02 AM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

ok i will call today and set up a dyno tune thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
thehoggle

Would be cheaper down the line to just buy the wideband/SCT tuner/o2 sensor if you're going to be modding little by little. Once you buy them you'll always have them, and it makes getting custom tunes a lot easier. Unless you got money to burn at the shop, then it's all you. I personally went with an SCT handhelp and get custom tunes from morepowertuning.com
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

the local tuner said when i talked to them today that the dyno was 450 and 375 for the handheld DAMN that is alot i am not sure that they know what they are doing how can it cost so much over 800 for dyno tune.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I've been both routes and I would say if you have a little common sense relating to tuning, do it yourself.

Having a wideband kit is a must on a FI car IMO. And you're going to have to get a tuner anyways so do some experimenting. Just stay around 20* of timing and low 11's in the A/F's just to be safe. You could creep up closer to 12's or more, but that's up to you and how close to the line of efficient/dangerous you want to go. I have been tuning my car on my own with the SCT and Innovate wideband for 2 months now and I've learned alot and my car runs better IMO.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

so do i buy a tuner from am or one of the other vendors with a few tunes in them and then make my own adjustments from their i was thinking with the handhelds that you could not do all than with one
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tempoffroad
so do i buy a tuner from am or one of the other vendors with a few tunes in them and then make my own adjustments from their i was thinking with the handhelds that you could not do all than with one
I'm not saying handhelds are the greatest things ever. I really don't like my Xcal2. But by making very small changes in bottle pressures, nitrous jets, and fuel % in the tuner, you can make PERFECT A/F's. Assuming there are no problems that need to be addressed N/A. It sounds like you have enough fuel, so essentially everything else is adjustable.

EDIT: Yes, you can buy a tuner with canned tunes from AM for a stock car with a 100 shot. Then you can adjust things from there if needed.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:22 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

i may just do that get it set for 100shot and go from their i thought about the sniper special forces but i have a computer with vista and have heard that is a problem

Quick Reply: have nitrous now dyno tune or by wideband and a handheld