4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
IanJK46conv
2nd Gear Member

Default convertible top

Under my rear window, the top on my convertible is peeling off the bottom of the glass. Anyone ever have that problem? It looks like there was some kind of adhesive that connected the two, and I'm not sure was to use. The frustration of have this vert is so close to not even worth it between the leaks and stupid **** like this.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
cbasmas

yeah mine leaks in the same area i heard of glueing it with gorilla glue to do the trick
Old 09-16-2008, 10:38 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

it needs to be resealed or you need a new rear peace, at least go at it with the glue he mentioned
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

The convertible top is made up of two pieces: 1.) The curtain containing the window glass and 2.) the actual "top" that makes up the roof portion.

I left my toolbox in my convertible well (yeah, i know, stupid) and put my top down. The pressure on the glass shattered it and I had no rear window for a month.

Anyway, back to your point, if your curtain is leaking around your window I would recommend you use some clear RTV silicone to seal it. I had a similar problem but my vinyl wasn't peeling up from the glass, it was simply torn/rubbed/rotten through from friction and the sun. The silicone was a good temporary fix and kept the rain out. I have an 02 GT... it is amazing how quickly these tops can deteriorate... especially if you don't keep your car in a garage and out of the sun.

Summary: Try some clear RTV silicone and if that doesn't work, you will have to get a new rear glass curtain. I bought mine last summer from Mustangs Unlimited for about $230 with defrost and glass window. Please don't skimp on the cost and get a plastic window, that'd just be wrong. Make sure you don't cut corners on the defrost either.

The brand top I got was "KEE" if I am not mistaken. It has stood up to the elements pretty well for the last year, no leaks.

Installation was $225 for me but prices for labor vary WILDLY. I HIGHLY encourage you to call EVERY auto upholstery shop in your state and get their quote. My quotes were $400-$1200 and I ended up with an upholsterer that was recommended to me by the local Mercedes-Benz body shop and he only cost me $225. Make sure you tell the shop you ONLY want a labor quote for replacing the curtain instead of the whole top. Took my guy about 2 labor hours to do the job.

For the curtain, they peel back the top from the rear and pull it forward. This exposes the curtain. The curtain is sewn and stapled into the roof frame and underneath the black body trim surrounding the convertible top well.

SHOP AROUND!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 AM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Addition:

Another user recommended gorilla glue. I recommend you stay away from this stuff as it is permanent and expands when it dries. Use too much and you will have an orange/brown permanent mess on your top/glass.

Stick with the silicone, at least you can remove it if you choose.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
GatorDude_97_GT
1st Gear Member

yea mine peels at the bottom when the vinly sticks to the glass... and i used silicone... takes about 12 hours to completely set... but it works just fine... and the best thing is you can always just put more on... you can also put it on a tear in the top...