4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:59 PM
penceman
4th Gear Member

Default Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

About a year ago I blew up my intake and had it replaced with the aluminum crossover. I walked back from class on Friday to find every drop of my coolant on the floor underneath my car. I found where it was leaking (on the back part of the manifold on passenger side where that heater tube goes in) so I had it towed home. I got the intake off and the gaskets look ok, but one of them is kinda raised, like it didnt get set properly. The gaskets that are on it are the ones that just go around the holes, like 10 of them I think, they're not solid one piece gaskets, which I bought today. My question is what kind of gaskets should I use?

And also, why are there two bolt holes on the back of the passenger head, as well as the new gasket I bought, but not on the manifold? The manifold only has one of the holes.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I don't really know about your problem. I'm just posting because our sig pics are almost identical!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM
CaptianMorgan65
1st Gear Member

i don't know what to tell you about the bolt but i had the same problem when i swapped my intake, the gaskets i got from American Muscle were paper gaskets that tended to slide as i put the new intake on and did not seat well causing a leak. i had to buy the thick rubber ones with the rubber ***** on the bottom to hold it in place. go with the thick rubber ones and not the paper ones if you have an option. Also remember to clean the area extremely well before putting your gaskets on.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i dont know what your talking about on th back of the head? there wasnt anything i had to touch on the back side of the head when i did my 2 manifold replacements. but for the gaskets, get a decent gasket set from napa or something like that
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM
penceman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
i dont know what your talking about on th back of the head? there wasnt anything i had to touch on the back side of the head when i did my 2 manifold replacements. but for the gaskets, get a decent gasket set from napa or something like that
I was talking about front to rear, not actually on the back of the head.

The intake manifold is not made by Ford, its made my Dorman. I'm guessing its just cheaper for shops to buy these, and is what we with the aluminum crossovers have on our cars. You must use their gaskets with the intake, no OEM gasket will work properly, supposedly. I got Fel-Pro gaskets from Autozone, which are solid one piece gaskets and they dont match up exactly how I like. These are the correct gaskets http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...Set+-+(Intake)
They come preset in the manifold, but I guess one of mine was just bad. Hopefully these work.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

seems like it would be right, i dont think ive ever heard anything good about those dormans either. could you get some pics of those holses your talking about??
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
penceman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
seems like it would be right, i dont think ive ever heard anything good about those dormans either. could you get some pics of those holses your talking about??
I'll have some pics up tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

ok sounds good
Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 AM
penceman
4th Gear Member

Here are the pics...

It doesnt really matter, I was just curious as to why it was like this. Maybe Dorman manifolds dont have the extra bolt hole on their manifolds. I'm waiting on the gaskets, had to overnight them from some place I've never heard of. Everywhere I looked either didnt carry them or were backordered. A job that is supposed to take one night has now taken four days.
Attached Thumbnails Intake Manifold Gasket Problems-img_3769.jpg   Intake Manifold Gasket Problems-img_3767.jpg   Intake Manifold Gasket Problems-img_3770r.jpg  

Last edited by penceman; 09-18-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

those two bolt holes and the hole in between them is where the coolant flows up through the intake and to the heater core. i hope your intake has bolts for right there to keep a seal....

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket Problems