4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Where to get replacement axle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default Where to get replacement axle?

Pretty sure my passenger side axle is bent and I need to replace it. I noticed a wobble in the car and have since put it on a dyno where I was able to see the rear passenger wheel wobbling as it spun, indicating something is bent. I don't know what else it could be other than the axle, as the rotor is brand new. Anyone know where I can get a replacement for cheap?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

www.latemodelrestoration.com or American Muscle
Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I only need one.

Looks like I may be able to pick up a used one from a guy on a local forum I'm on. Said he has a couple laying around from when he upgraded to 31 spline. We shall see.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
the_camo_snake
2nd Gear Member

I think you might as well get a new set of Moser or Strange axels. That way you will not have to worry about them anymore.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by the_camo_snake
I think you might as well get a new set of Moser or Strange axels. That way you will not have to worry about them anymore.
If I were planning on keeping the car, I would probably upgrade to a 31 spline setup. However, there is a good chance I will be selling it in a couple months and am trying to just get it as near perfect as I can in the mean time. I found a guy locally with some and he is going to sell me one for $35. I think that's a good deal.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 PM
briansbodyshop
1st Gear Member

Did you check the wheel?? Unless you have hit something,I dont see how the axle is bent...
Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Wheel is fine. It's an old injury from where I smacked a curb avoiding some idiot that pulled right out in front of me. Destroyed the stock rim, so I replaced the rims with the ones I have now. Always was squeaking ever since, but could never really figure out what it was. Thought it was brake related, had the rear setup replaced and it was quiet for a while then came back in a couple weeks. Thought they didn't do it right, so I eventually replaced the rotors, pads and everything myself. I know it was done right, but it is doing it again now, plus I saw it wobbling on the dyno roller. So, as far as I know, it has to be the axle.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
briansbodyshop
1st Gear Member

Yeah Id say it is an axle then, if you hit a curb hard enough to destroy the stock wheel .Ive seen axle's bend from a collision that didnt break the wheel.... 35.00 sounds like a good deal...
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Yeah, that's why I figured.

Just hope I didn't mess up the axle tube or anything else. Guess I'll find out.

It's weird though, because when I did my gears I had the axles out and that one looked like it was okay. Guess I'll know for sure once I replace it.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

What do you plan on getting when you get rid of it?

Quick Reply: Where to get replacement axle?