4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

IRS, who has swapped to it??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default IRS, who has swapped to it??

I have now paid for the 04 IRS and I will be going through with instalation into my 96 GT soon.

Now, I know that for $1,000 I can have 31 spline, 373's and a SRA that will handle the 500rwhp that I will be making next year but, How's the IRS feel? Is it as civilized as everyone says it is?

I'm afraid I may be just in love with the idea and not giving the real "objective" thought to it.

I know and have read all about the bad wheel hop and all the modifications that going to cost an arm/leg but I am prepared for that.

$1g in the SRA is definitely the cheaper way to go but please don't spend out of your own pocket. Tell me what you think of the IRS, comfort, drive ability and longevity.

Should I chuck the Idea all together, even though I've already bought it? lol
Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

The 4 Cobras I've driven that had IRS, I loved the feel.. I definitely noticed a much better response, and feel on regular street conditions, with less "pick-up truck," bounce when going over bumps.. From all that I've read, it's pretty much a 1-for-1 swap, with very few modifications needing to be done to the chassis. Sure, you are going to be adding some weight, but with your offset in power, I don't see that being much of an issue..

As for the wheel hop, and such, I'm willing to bet that if you're ready for it, prior to the swap, make all of the necessary updates/upgrades, and throw it in, so you don't have to find out an hour away from home when you split a half-shaft dumping the clutch on a clown in a Honda..

JT
Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I loved my IRS, when I had on D/R's or slicks. Street tires sucked when I was on it. Get the poly bushings and diff brace, and you'll be fine. Aside from the wheel hop with street tires, it was alot smoother and a blast to drive. Best of luck with the install.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Ew one of the few times you'll hear about a Solid to IRS swap. Don't know anything about an IRS but I will say a 31 spline/geared SRA is more like $500
Old 09-24-2008, 03:33 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

True, but a 31-splined SRA will still ride like an F-150, even with a good amount of modifications...

There's a common link between cars that are comfortable to ride in, and also handle outstanding, and it lies with independent suspensions.. Regardless of the $4000 kit you can buy to make a SRA ride like an IRS'ed Cobra, you can find IRS set ups for half of that, that already have 3.73's, AND 31-splines.. Sell your SRA to someone who is dying to have an 8.8" rear, and use that money to buy the bracing/bushings, and you've still got some money to throw at wheels and tires..

I mean, I'm sure folks have done cost analysis of this before, but really, because more folks want SRAs, folks are offing their IRS for next to nothing.. It makes even MORE sense, if it's planned to be driven on the street a lot..

JT
Old 09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

BTW, the axle itself, with the gears and axles would probably be a bit more than $500, at least one worth buying in great condition.. Keep in mind, those Cobra owners will also have to invest in a new suspension set up to link the axle up to the chassis..

Just to think about..

JT
Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I hit the track about twice a year so I'm not really concerned anymore about the drag times. I drive my car A LOT and I race my car a little so it just seems logical that this is my thinking, Reliability>Comfort>Race.

I wont be buying the full MM IRS kit all at once. I'll be doing it, one or two pieces at a time. I'll first be starting with the Billet flow Diff Cover Brace then the Diff bushings and so on till I have them replaced or at least bought so I can install them without taking out the IRS 100 times.
Originally Posted by GodAmGT00
BTW, the axle itself, with the gears and axles would probably be a bit more than $500, at least one worth buying in great condition.. Keep in mind, those Cobra owners will also have to invest in a new suspension set up to link the axle up to the chassis..

Just to think about..

JT
31 splines, Traction Loc, Gears, Install kit and Installation comes out to about $1,000. Installation should NEVER be over 250$.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 09-24-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GodAmGT00
The 4 Cobras I've driven that had IRS, I loved the feel.. I definitely noticed a much better response, and feel on regular street conditions, with less "pick-up truck," bounce when going over bumps.. From all that I've read, it's pretty much a 1-for-1 swap, with very few modifications needing to be done to the chassis. Sure, you are going to be adding some weight, but with your offset in power, I don't see that being much of an issue..

JT
should also help with weight distribution with the increased weight in the back. A little bit but anything helps since these cars are so front heavy.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:11 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

+1 on weight distribution.. I hadn't thought of that.. Good call..

As for the installs: I always got beat on mine.. I just never wanted to have my daily driver down for more than a day, since i commuted more than 150 miles a day, so I didn't want to risk running into losing my car for a few days, while I got rides to the machine shop and parts stores.. Maybe my vagina hurt too much at the time.. IDK.. Regardless, you're right, $250 is about where it would be in most places, however in MA, the State labor rate is about $90/hr, so if it's a 4hr job, that's $360 before tax, which comes out to almost $400.. Not great, but still better than the $1100 I paid to have my tubes welded, gears, aftermarket LSD, painting and 31-spline axles all at once..

JT
Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Holy COW that's a lot in labor! That's ridiculous. I'd get real good at gears if I lived in that state!

Quick Reply: IRS, who has swapped to it??