4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP! Replacing pads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:11 PM
AChinkinaMustang
1st Gear Member

Default HELP! Replacing pads.

I need new back brake pads and I just bought them today at the ford dealership (Motorcraft pads). I have never worked on back brakes, especially on a Mustang. Any info will be great. Thanks. 2001 GT.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

if i remember right you will need to push the brake piston back in and to do that you have to spin it so you might want to go to an auto parts store and get a tool for that
Old 09-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yes you will need a caliper tool. The cheapest ones look like a cube with nubs. Each face fits different OEM calipers. The more expensive ones come in a kit with a number of face plates that rachet as you turn the tool.

There is a spring that's used for the parking brake....DO NOT REMOVE IT!!! If you do, it makes rotating the piston back into the caliper easier but fuggin A it is a bee-****** to put back on. Took me 4 hours of fighting and a busted pair of pliers (I threw them) to get it back in.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

you can also use a pair of needle nose pliers, they work too, rears are definitely a pita.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:27 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

yea there are several diff kinds of caliper tools but when i did mine i went to auto zone and they have the tool rental program thing and paid like 50 dollars and once i returned them got all my money back
Old 09-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That works too. I just buy the tools when I need them unless it's something like a P/S pully puller...oh wait bought one of those too! I just hate having to make the return trip to return the tool. My time and wasted gas > money saved on rental tool
Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM
AChinkinaMustang
1st Gear Member

So, do I have to worry about flushing out the brake fluid or can I just add whatever I need once the pads are in??? And am I gonna have to worry about bleeding the brakes???
Old 09-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AChinkinaMustang
So, do I have to worry about flushing out the brake fluid or can I just add whatever I need once the pads are in??? And am I gonna have to worry about bleeding the brakes???
Nope, no bleeding required with this job. Just leave your caliper all bolted up and you're fine. As you are working on the brakes, rest the caliper on the A arm so that the brake line doesn't sag or bend or any of that.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Actually considering the fluid has probably never been changed in your car and you have a 2001. I would flush the old fluid out completely. You can get a one-man bleeder kit and bleed each side since as you put the caliper with new pad back on before putting the wheel on. Take an extra 10 minutes a side.

Then do your fronts. Overall it will take an extra hour but you'll feel the brakes will be a lot more solid and not as prone to fadding. Dot 4 is the best to go with and it's compatible with Dot 3, just has a higher boiling point.

Just make sure you never let the Master Cylinder resivoir get empty.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:11 PM
AChinkinaMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Actually considering the fluid has probably never been changed in your car and you have a 2001. I would flush the old fluid out completely. You can get a one-man bleeder kit and bleed each side since as you put the caliper with new pad back on before putting the wheel on. Take an extra 10 minutes a side.

Then do your fronts. Overall it will take an extra hour but you'll feel the brakes will be a lot more solid and not as prone to fadding. Dot 4 is the best to go with and it's compatible with Dot 3, just has a higher boiling point.

Just make sure you never let the Master Cylinder resivoir get empty.
Well, I did buy a bottle of dot 3 but I don't really wanna flush it unless I dont have too. I mean, is it really necessary??? If not, Im just gonna leave it cause Im not to sure how to flush it. Thanks a lot guys. Gonna get this taken care of tomorrow.

Quick Reply: HELP! Replacing pads.