4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please explain proper gear accessories needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:42 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default Please explain proper gear accessories needed?

I'm going to tackle doing gears myself. I know it's hard, but I'd like to learn. If I do it wrong, I'll have to take it apart, and try again. With that out of the way.......

I need info so I can understand gears better (well not gears themselves, but the supporting parts).

I was looking at a Tloc 31 spline setup that is $299.99 http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...=M4204F318C+01 that comes equipped with carbon fiber clutch plates, but doesn't come with gears. If I get this which type of installation kit would I need? I specifically want the Ford Racing kit, but theres three that range from = $40 --> $90 -->$110 and have various parts.

What my biggest problem is, I don't want to purchase the best installation kit, if I can buy the $299 setup, get the cheap installation kit for $40, and then sell my current setup for half of that and recoup most of my investment. However, if the $299 setup has no bearing on which installation kit I need, then that answers that question.

Btw, my car has 72k on the odometer.

Mods, please don't delete my link to the non sponsor site link. I'd link it to a sponsor, but none of them carry the exact setup I wanted, otherwise I'd buy it from them.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:09 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

dude i would just do it right the first time. i watched a guy do it and it didnt seem too hard but the little gear that comes with your gear kit. the mushroom looking one, wouldnt come out so i hope you have a torch just in case.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:14 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I doubt anyone is going to buy used stock gears, with used bearings...or even a used carrier...

With that aside, you are goin to need air tools, a press, and some bearing drivers.. If you dont have any of these, then dont even attempt the install on your own. If you buy a carrier without a ring/pinion, then order the ring pinion you want, and you should order the installation kit with ALL the new bearings/races/seals... You still with me? Next thing you are goin to need is a dial indicator with an adapter to fit on some vice grips.. You're gonna need to check backlash. You might be able to get away with using the old shims, I have on many occasions. Theres a few more things to know but Im not going into further detail until you are ready
Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

I've got a brand new compressor never even used yet, an impact gun, air ratchet and I've already purchased Ford Racing 4.10's.

I wasn't going to sell just my used gears, I was going to sell my Tloc assembly, since I was considering purchasing the new tloc assembly I linked to in my first post. I was just trying to see how much easier my install would be if I were to buy that tlock assembly I linked to above.

I have a few walkthroughs, one that has pictures for every step. I'm not afraid to do it, I just want to purchase the correct stuff. I just didn't want to tear it apart, and put it back together with the gears and install kit, to find out it would've been much easier to have purchased the tloc I linked too. Plus with 72k on the odometer, I didn't know if the clutch packs needed to be replaced/rebuilt.....If so they are a tad over $100, so at that point would I be better jumping into the 31 spline, carbon fiber tloc, rather than dump money into the factory setup.

I don't know if I'm making myself clear. It's kind of hard to explain things, when I don't exactly know what's what with the assembly parts in the differential/tloc setup.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Also, if I were to switch to the 31 spline setup, would I have to switch anything else than the axles to 31 spline, and the driveshaft? I didn't know if it would effect which rotors I get, or rims etc.

My knowledge of the rear end of the car is limited, so bare with me on this
Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ripped camel
Also, if I were to switch to the 31 spline setup, would I have to switch anything else than the axles to 31 spline, and the driveshaft? I didn't know if it would effect which rotors I get, or rims etc.

My knowledge of the rear end of the car is limited, so bare with me on this
That right there should tell you that you probably don't want to tackle this on your own the first time. If you want to do the work, I'd definately have someone experienced walking you through it. It's not that it's hard, but it can be a pain in the ***, especially if you're not entirely sure on what you're doing. Even doing it hundreds of times, you'll once in a while run into a rear end that'll just bust your ***** every chance it gets.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
That right there should tell you that you probably don't want to tackle this on your own the first time. If you want to do the work, I'd definately have someone experienced walking you through it. It's not that it's hard, but it can be a pain in the ***, especially if you're not entirely sure on what you're doing. Even doing it hundreds of times, you'll once in a while run into a rear end that'll just bust your ***** every chance it gets.
I heed your warning, and wish I had someone that knew what they were doing to walk me through it, but I don't know anyone who knows anything about any mechanical mustang stuff.