4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Okay.. Exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Okay.. Exhaust install

Before the snow starts falling I want to know about how long it should take to get my Flowmaster catback on my Mustang, it's been sitting in my basement, being useless. My car has Flowmaster mufflers on it from the guy before me, but no tips.. So I'm just going to replace the mufflers, sell the old ones, and put on those shiny tips.

So, as I unbolt the mid-pipe, I just re-bolt and use the new hangars? I am concerned about getting the mid-pipe bolts off. I am very strong.. but I'm not sure I can break a rusty seal. Any suggestions? Thanks all.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:02 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

soak them in pb blaster then use an impact gun if you have one
Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

well when i changed my catback on mine cobi, (car had 100k miles with stock catback) it wasn't really that tough. its an easy installation, but you have to be willing to get dirty. The full flowmaster catback has new exhaust hanger welded onto certain parts of the pipe. i reused the rubber like hanger grabber thing. but if you are doubting it, soak it with some good ol wd 40. and get to work. it's pretty easy, i wouldn't mind helping but im in the west coast. nothing like working on mustangs. if you get stuck, take some pictures of the parts and i'll be happy to walk you through it.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 562cobra
well when i changed my catback on mine cobi, (car had 100k miles with stock catback) it wasn't really that tough. its an easy installation, but you have to be willing to get dirty. The full flowmaster catback has new exhaust hanger welded onto certain parts of the pipe. i reused the rubber like hanger grabber thing. but if you are doubting it, soak it with some good ol wd 40. and get to work. it's pretty easy, i wouldn't mind helping but im in the west coast. nothing like working on mustangs. if you get stuck, take some pictures of the parts and i'll be happy to walk you through it.
Thanks man, I seriousely appreciate it. I hope I don't have too much trouble, i'll be sure to keep you informed.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

if they are just weld in flows that are on there now..and not a catback, that means you will have to cut the exhaust to get it off.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Where in CT are you? I've done a a bunch of exhausts, it's actually really easy. I'd be willing to help if you're not far. And a six pack of Guinness.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
Where in CT are you? I've done a a bunch of exhausts, it's actually really easy. I'd be willing to help if you're not far. And a six pack of Guinness.
Can't promise you a 6 pack, because I am 19. But I would pay you fairly for your help.

I live in Torrington, with my luck you probably live in like.. Norwich.. haha
Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
a six pack and some burgers and ill fly my **** over there.

and i believe he said he currently has weld in flows, but has the full flowmaster catback sitting in his basement, jvog.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 562cobra
a six pack and some burgers and ill fly my **** over there.

and i believe he said he currently has weld in flows, but has the full flowmaster catback sitting in his basement, jvog.
Yea. The guy before me put in some model of flowmasters. I rolled under there and saw the famous letters stamped on the mufflers.. I found this out AFTER I ordered the cat-back kit. I guess he never did anything with the tips, although the left exhaust tip has sticker residue on it =/... beats me.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

yea he just said it has flowmaster mufflers on it..i guess i should have assumed they were welded in...well than. even exchange you are gonna have to cut your current catback off

Quick Reply: Okay.. Exhaust install