4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shift kit needed??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

Default Shift kit needed??

Hey guys, turns out my mustang has a few more mods than I thought it did when I bought it. Explains why it pulls so damn nice.

Besides the CAI and exhausts, the rear end was replaced along with 4.10s, the throttle body was upgraded as was the intake manifold. My question is... From what I've read, 4.10s tear up through the transmission if a shift kit isn't purchased.. is this the case even if there's a performance tune on there? Keep in mind though, the tune is only taking into account the exhaust and CAI.

If so, what companies are good to look into? B&M? And how pricey is this, considering that I definitely need a mechanic installing this?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

Do a j-mod...it's one of the better ways to get the shift to tighten up. Google it if you don't know anything about it...but in a nutshell it consists of enlarging the holes in the valvebody plate to allow quicker fluid transfer to the servos, clutchs, and bands. While other shift kits out there are proven to work...meaning you might or might not have trouble with them...they tend to focus more on increasing the global line pressure to the transmission. That is not always a good thing because if increased by too much it can cause premature failure of the components inside the transmission.

Another way to look at it is say like you're trying to get 1000 gallons of water thru a garden hose in minutes instead of a few hours. How do you do that? By increasing the pressure. What happens is, you increase the pressure to meet demand but decrease the chance of the material withstanding the extra force...so the hose fails by bursting...need I say more? That is why people say tuners are not the best method of getting a transmission to shift harder. While it does work and the companies that produce the tuners swear it is within a safe range...do you trust your whole transmission on someone else's word? If you do that's fine...some companies give good information and test their products thoroughly but I have read many a many posts on this stuff and that is what I can grasp from it.

I actually use a tuner to get my car to shift harder but not for long though...I have a j-modded valve body to go in the car. From what I can take of all the investigation that I have done...the 4r70w does not take a liking to increased global line pressure...and that is where some failures arise but again you may never have problem...why risk it though? The older AOD's the ones that weren't electronically controlled were more able to withstand the line pressure increases but after they went electronic is when people were having problems using shift kits...like Trasgo, B&M, etc.. I know there are some people on here who have them and have not run into any problems but there is another side to that story...the ones who tell you that there transmission failed after they put it in there. Some of that might be attributed to an ailing transmission to begin with and then you go and up the pressure and the end result = failure? Just my .02 cents X 10000...lol.

Last edited by 03FstStngKB; 10-01-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:00 AM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

Bro...........they wanted $90 to install at my local speed shop. I said, "meh".
Did it myself and I am pathetic................installed the Steeda TriAx in about 2 hours and would have been less except for some sticking bolts on the old shifter base. Its easy.......if I can do it, you can do it. You do need to buy some soft rubber gasket though in a tube to spread around the base before installing the new shifter.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 AM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

oooops....fail on my part. You got a slushbox.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Valve body in not very difficult to install either. Most do it themselves. If you are still not confident about doing it yourself though, just have them put it in the next time you get your transmission oil/filter changed. I would also agree, the j-mod is the best way to go, plus they are very inexpensive. If you are willing to take yours out and ship it to them so they do the modification, it will run you somewhere around 60 bucks.

http://www.vapauto.com/jmod.htm

Oh... I just read the site, I guess the only way to get it done is the mail order way. Well, I'm still in luck; I was going to do it over the winter
Old 10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolt.com
Bro...........they wanted $90 to install at my local speed shop. I said, "meh".
Did it myself and I am pathetic................installed the Steeda TriAx in about 2 hours and would have been less except for some sticking bolts on the old shifter base. Its easy.......if I can do it, you can do it. You do need to buy some soft rubber gasket though in a tube to spread around the base before installing the new shifter.

He's an auto . Installing a shifter is cake a shift kit is a little more difficult process. I would go with BC Automotive and buy their highly modified valve body and slap it in there. It works wonders and its not too difficult to rplace either
Old 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
He's an auto . Installing a shifter is cake a shift kit is a little more difficult process. I would go with BC Automotive and buy their highly modified valve body and slap it in there. It works wonders and its not too difficult to rplace either

is it really worth the 300 dollars or 225 with core charge i have seen them for much cheaper
Old 10-01-2008, 05:02 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
is it really worth the 300 dollars or 225 with core charge i have seen them for much cheaper
Yeah it def is. BC automotive is a very good company and known for its work. Where did you find it for 225 Id really like to know? That seems like agood deal. Its worth puting a shift kit in there because I dont feel like rebuilding my tranny and droping 2 grand for it
Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
Yeah it def is. BC automotive is a very good company and known for its work. Where did you find it for 225 Id really like to know? That seems like agood deal. Its worth puting a shift kit in there because I dont feel like rebuilding my tranny and droping 2 grand for it

well if you give them back your core they give you 75 dollars back

and VAP AUTO like mentioned above has them but you have to send in the stock one to get modified for 60 dollars
Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

you can get a custom valve body from vap auto complete with jmod for a 100.00 with a 40.00 core refund when sent back. I am running one and love it.

Quick Reply: Shift kit needed??