4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Don't insult me, i'm just curious..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Don't insult me, i'm just curious..

I was thinking the other day.. would it be possible to pull the plugs on 4 of your cylinders in your GT and run the car on 4 cylinders? I don't want to do this, just wondering it it's possible. You would probably cause all kinds of problems i'm sure however. If this isn't possible-- why? Does the computer detect this is a problem? Also, if that were the case.. could you run a carburetor engine on only four?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

your car wouldn't fire.....
Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You car is still gonna dump fuel into the cylinder even if it has no plugs.
The only way to make it work is to shut of the fuel and spark to the cylinders that wont be needed.
I don't see how you can make a carb engine run on shut down cylinders. It's even harder to shut off fuel once it enters into an intake on a carb set up.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i think GM tried to do the run on 4or 8 cylinder thing for fuel economy/power, years ago but had to many problems with it so scrapped it, recently its come back but if it took Millions of their research dollars to do it im doubting you yourself could figure it out lol.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
i think GM tried to do the run on 4or 8 cylinder thing for fuel economy/power, years ago but had to many problems with it so scrapped it, recently its come back but if it took Millions of their research dollars to do it im doubting you yourself could figure it out lol.
Uh.....
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
gearhead275

lol yea you'd be better off buying a 4cyl engine that runs on 4cyl
insted of making a v8 run on 4cyl
Old 10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Lol, yeah I know I was just wondering. I actually kinda figured that exact thing. I heard about that setup. GM wanted to implant it into the new Camaro for 2010. I guess some people were calling out on it because it creates premature engine wear and stuff.. I guess it's not healthy because the spark plug still fired in their setup.. Idk.. weird concept, but it's called DOD (Displacement on Demand)

Actually, something relatively close to this idea is GM's Active Fuel Management thing they have in their new cars. It uses a solenoid to deactivate the lifters or certain cylinders.. I'm not sure if it works on anything other than a pushrod engine tho..
Old 10-05-2008, 09:01 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

dont listen to them, do it and let me know if it works.

j/k dont do it, youll break something
Old 10-05-2008, 09:02 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Lol, yeah I know I was just wondering. I actually kinda figured that exact thing. I heard about that setup. GM wanted to implant it into the new Camaro for 2010. I guess some people were calling out on it because it creates premature engine wear and stuff.. I guess it's not healthy because the spark plug still fired in their setup.. Idk.. weird concept, but it's called DOD (Displacement on Demand)

Actually, something relatively close to this idea is GM's Active Fuel Management thing they have in their new cars. It uses a solenoid to deactivate the lifters or certain cylinders.. I'm not sure if it works on anything other than a pushrod engine tho..
That solenoid is referred to as "LOMA", which is an oil circuit solenoid located under the intake valley cover and runs off an oil pressure switch. That is DOD, and no, extensive wear is not found on these engines.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

DOD is used on some of the GM trucks and SUV's. It's actually a pretty cool system. It's fun to try and play with the cars and see how long you can keep 4 cylinder mode on without kicking in all 8 cylinders.

I haven't really dealt with these systems too much at work, but they are pretty cool, and from what I've seen, haven't caused any problems.

Quick Reply: Don't insult me, i'm just curious..