4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Water leak in my car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 AM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Default Water leak in my car...

This is frustrating the hell outta me becuase I can't figure out where the water is coming from.

Every now and then when it rains, water will get into my drivers' seat belt compartment so when I pull the belt down its soaked...

I've looked at my weather stripping and panels etc., but I can't find a gap or tear or anything. Any ideas about where the water might be coming in from or has anyone else had this problem...dirty seatbelt water FTL.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Fivaldrood
2nd Gear Member

Try taking a cup of water and pouring it over the door. Have someone inside and see if they can spot where its coming in from.

When my brother restored his T/A we had to do this like 40 times. Then he'd just put a lot of weatherstripping glue where the leak was!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:05 AM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

quarter panel window, bottom of car, where the driver door meets the quarter panel...just some ideas
Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

The best way to solve a waterleak issue is to take apart the inside of the car where it's getting wet, dry it off completely, then run water on it to see where it's coming in. I do this at work all the time. I can be a ****ing pain in the ***, but it's the best way to fix it right the first time.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

How do I go about removing some of the interior panels? I will probably have to pull that panel that goes from the pillar behind the door and around the quarter window.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Your goin to have to pull the sill plate, door moulding back, remove the b pillar trim, and then see if you got a clear view on the seatbelt area... Odds are its the either the window weather strip, door seal, or quarter window.. Another trick is to get some soapy water in a spray bottle, mist the soap all around the door, window, seals, then lightly blow some air over the soap.. You'll see the foam come in thru the leaky spot..
Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by 04CompetitionOrange
How do I go about removing some of the interior panels? I will probably have to pull that panel that goes from the pillar behind the door and around the quarter window.
You gotta take the quarter trim around the window off first..

remove the seat cushion, remove the seat belt bolt under the seat, remove the coat hanger hook, pop the tab off the seatbelt at the top and remove that bolt (both seatbelt bolts are like T45 torx) then carefully pull outwards and it should unclip..

To get the big panel off, after you get the upper panel off, remove the sill plate, you gotta lower the backrests and unbolt the backrest bolster ( 3 bolts across top) Remove the 4 pin retainers on the trim panel itself, then pull outwards it should unclip and come out..
Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the direction....I'll have to try taking it apart this weekend.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Sounds like a pain in the ***. I hate pulling apart plastic because you're never sure when/how much force it's going to take until it snaps and pisses you off.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Yeah...I'm not looking forward to this either. I had a dakota prior to this that the previous owner had accidently snapped a similar interior panel. The replacement was like around $300...not cool.

Quick Reply: Water leak in my car...