4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

don't even expect to make anywhere even near 260 HP with a x pipe and plenum/tb and UDP and driveshaft..all those combined are maybe 6 HP..if your lucky. 260 on a dyno is like 300 HP or so at the crank
Besides gears, the tuner is the only bolt on that does anything. There really imo is no point to installing ANYTHING as far as bolt ons are concerned on a 2v mustang besides Gears, a Tuner and long tube headers. All the rest is for bragging rights and to sustain you..because we all have that feeling we want to buy something when we look at our cars.

Last edited by Jbauer; 10-10-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Jbauer
don't even expect to make anywhere even near 260 HP with a x pipe and plenum/tb and UDP and driveshaft..all those combined are maybe 6 HP..if your lucky. 260 on a dyno is like 300 HP or so at the crank
Besides gears, the tuner is the only bolt on that does anything. There really imo is no point to installing ANYTHING as far as bolt ons are concerned on a 2v mustang besides Gears, a Tuner and long tube headers. All the rest is for bragging rights and to sustain you..because we all have that feeling we want to buy something when we look at our cars.

I can gather no appropriate response to this perspective. It displays a profound lack of fundamental engineering knowledge, and has no technical (or even philosphical) truth or foundation.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

You think he's going to make 260 RWHP with an X pipe, a plenum/TB, UDPs, catback and driveshaft? you've got those same power mods AND your suppose to be good at tunning the sniper, which yields more gains than most the other hand held tuners and even you don't make that much power.

what are the major bolt ons people install on these cars... gears, catback, mid pipe, tuner, throttle body, K&N, plenum, pullies, headers, etc.. what are the only 3 that are worth anything? from what i've seen, headers tuner and gears are all that make a diffrence.
Now, you can cam it, supercharge it.. etc. etc. Then the little things like the throttle body, and fuel injectors start building up larger roles, but as far as a typical bolt on car, what else matters besides gears, tuner and longtubes? those 3 mods totally change the car.. i'm not aware of anything else to add to that list that is considered a bolt on. Please..tell me.. so i can go buy it

Last edited by Jbauer; 10-10-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

260 is entirely possible with his mods and a GOOD 93 octane tune--not some canned thing from a Predator or Fuego, but a real, tweaked for his mods premium fuel, tune.

I am at 262/305 with a catted UPR X-pipe, Magnaflow catback, 70mm PP TB and plenum, and a well optimised (by yours truly) 93 octane tune created with Sniper's Commando tuning package. Admittedly this has taken some several months of logging/ tuning/ tweaking/ logging/ tuning/ tweaking/etc.; but it can be done--in fact, on an inertial dyno the UDPs and AL driveshaft could probably put a few more ponies on the chart...

It was upgrading to the Sniper Commando package that finally did it. The Special Forces system got me to 252/296 but Commando opens up the whole tune to your greedy little fingers. At $645 current street price there is nothing in it's class.

With Commando and a wideband O2 sensor you can make that puppy sing...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

So then my car should make the same HP with a good tune?
My car has
Accufab plenum/PP Throttle body
Air Intake
O/R H
MAC mufflers
which is the same as you have...Your telling me i can make 295 to the crank with a good tune? i'm probably only making 10 more HP then stock with all my mods.
You need to come up here to GA and sniper tune my car for me lol
Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Have you dyno'd your car recently, how much HP are you making now?

If you are still running the OEM 87 octane tune then you are missing out on a lot of fun...

The stock tune is too damned rich at WOT, dropping off to 11.5:1 or less at 4500+ rpm. It is also pulling a bunch of spark, you can add 2° to the stock tune and still run 87 with no problem...

There's a bunch of "usual crap" done with canned tunes, like the time delays between open and closed loop switching and open loop delays, but beyond that with something like Commando you can do a lot more.

The first thing that needs to be done (with premium fuel--93 is what we've got here) is add 4° to 5° global advance, and then set the high injector slope to 20.75 to 21 lb/h and the low slope to 24.1. this will lean out the WOT and partial throttle AFR which will make more power, and get better fuel economy for those of us with heavy right feet...

The stabilised open loop fuel table at higher throttle openings can then be leaned up a bit too--this is what is in control at higher loads and throttle openings (think spirited driving).

There are also a lot of other neat things you can do with Commando, like change the virtual "dashpot" settings to make the engine rev-down like it ought to, and alter the injector shutdown for deceleration settings, and most fun or all set a 2-step rev-limiter.

I realise I am rambling here, but if Commando can't do it then you don't need it done...
Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

No, i've never gotten my car on a dyno but it feels the same way it did when i bought it, even with everything i've done to it. There is a dyno like 7 or 8 minutes from my home, i'll have to stop by some day.

I'm just going to get an SCT tuner from brenspeed with a 2 step on it and leave everything else as is. I don't want to go playing around with stuff I know nothing about and i figure i should make atleast 15 more horses, especially since i've got a TB/plenum/intake and exhaust that the tuner can take advantage of

Last edited by Jbauer; 10-10-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:42 AM
pro2a

Wow, I sense a little synicism on the forum. I know my car, and I am deffinately making MORE power with the recent mods. I will find out next week when I make another trip to the dyno exactly how much more power.

I, like others here, am not astute to dialing in my own air fuel/spark map, nor do I want to be, I am not an auto tech, but a homeland security professional. I will seek out a tuner that deals with the SCT x3 and have them remap it and dyno it again.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

good luck, post that dyno on here when your done if you don't mind.
REally, you can shoot up that global spark advance by 2 or 3 degrees and i bet you'd be alright..just listen for any pinging