4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Chirping noise areound corners

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Chirping noise areound corners

I noticed a few months back that whenever I would back out of a parking spare or something, OCCASIONALLY my car would chirp as I turned the wheel while going slow speeds and backing out. It would only chirp for a second.. but it was embarrassing.

But anyway.. I don't really live in an area where there are a lot of parking garages or places where noises are amplified if you drive in them.. but the other night I was going UP around and around and around SHARP turns in a parking garage and the steering was making chirping noises left and right.. I had 2 chicks in the back and it was very embarrassing because they were asking if my brakes were okay... It's obviously not my brakes but still..

Does my power steering pump have a leak? And if so, what is the best route to go about fixing this? Could it be any other problem? Bent axle? Tie rod or something? Tire?

This chirping really concerns me because it has been happening more frequently lately.. It actually happened today going around just a slight bend at around 30mph too..

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH!! =)
Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

nobody?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
mustangman281
Banned

If your chirping around corners that usually means the clutches in your rear end are going out.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

The noise only comes when I turn the wheel, and it is from the front, though.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

And.. its actually more of a chirping screeching =/
Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Check the serpentine belt and the tensioner.

Actually, replace the belt (and tensioner too if it's bad)--it can look fine and still be shot...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Check the serpentine belt and the tensioner.

Actually, replace the belt (and tensioner too if it's bad)--it can look fine and still be shot...
Hmm, thats a good call.. I actually just freakin replaced the best like 5,000 miles ago.. and I have a brand new long block.. would that mean that I have a new tensioner?

Also, I encountered this squeal again today while going straight, and at a slow speed.. very annoying.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

On a 2000 GT could also be the p/s pump. 99-00 ish had noisy P/S pumps to begin with. If the noise happens when the wheel is turned all the way in one direction then it's the P/S pump. The Idler/Tensioner pulley would make noise when the A/C is on as well as it puts similar drag on the belt.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
On a 2000 GT could also be the p/s pump. 99-00 ish had noisy P/S pumps to begin with. If the noise happens when the wheel is turned all the way in one direction then it's the P/S pump. The Idler/Tensioner pulley would make noise when the A/C is on as well as it puts similar drag on the belt.
Hmm.. I will have to experiment when I get out of work.. but when I crank the A/C it doesnt chirp or anything.. Also, there seems to be no noise when I crank the wheel all the way either.. Although.. It might chirp if I crank the wheel all the way, then START MOVING BACKWARDS.. It always freakin does it when the wheel is cranked and the car's in reverse.. especially next to cars and stuff where the sound is bouncing back at you..

Ford told me that it was most likely a power steering leak back a few months ago when I told them about the problem..
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If it's happening only with the car stopped or barely moving check this out...

Have someone* rock the steering wheel back and forth, with the engine running, while you stick your head under the front end and observe the steering rack. On my '03 the rack was moving 1/8" or more in synchronisation with the squeak/chirp.

----------------------
* - For obvious reasons make sure this is someone you trust, I had my wife do it and have to admit I was still a bit nervous.

Quick Reply: Chirping noise areound corners