4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A few mechanical questions. Help a guy out

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation A few mechanical questions. Help a guy out

Alright so i brought my automatic 2002 gt a few months ago and I have noticed a few problems.

problem #1. My car will make a clunk from something around the transmission to the rear end only, after putting the car in drive and slowly letting the car move with no gas effort. The clunk is clearly heard and felt. Only one time until i repeat the process. The car also has to be warmed up to hear it. I took it to the Ford Dealership and they checked out the transmission. The transmission came up as fine; although they did mention that the transmission would hesitate at a certain speed. Although they did nothing to solve my problem or diagnose the noise.. What does this hesitating mean? Car is no longer under warranty btw.

Problem #2. The stang only at a certain speed around 38-43 when at a certain speed will shudder back and forth jerking the car a bit. It gives me the impression that it can't decide on what gear it wants and it's just switching gears at a rapid rate on it's own. It's really hard to explain and I wish i was a mechanic so i could diagnose these dumb things without spending an arm and leg on diagnostics.. Again it feels like it's source is from the transmission to the rear end. When I floor it and don't let off i feel the rear end "pop" around 50 mph. now this is a 20-55 mph dash with me flooring it. I'm not sure if that is traction or not..

Problem #3 It seems that if i'm rolling around 28-36 and if i floor it, the mustang has like no power. I get a weak acceleration. No kick or anything. Is this normal? However 20 mph and 40 are very nice. Maybe it's just the gearing? Dumb question, but I thought I'd ask.

But like I said these are weak explanations. If anyone could make any sense of them and help a guy out I would greatly appreciate it. If i had cash flowing out my butt.. I would just replace the driveshaft to the rear end, including all the u-joints, etc. Thanks!

-Chris

Last edited by Kdaddy; 10-14-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:43 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

The clunking sound could be a u joint. Did the dealer check them?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

No I don't think they did. I do know he checked the motors mounts. I'm not 100% sure on u-joints though. Going to grab the papers now.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Richbrad08
3rd Gear Member

i had some of the same problems with my honda accord v6 coupe. but they are known for tranny problems i replaced the torque converter and it fixed it.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 AM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

its probably torque converter shudder . the shudder occurs when the torque converter is locking up . overheating is the main cause , which breaks down the fluid . when TC shudder occurs it will feel like its hesitating & kind of like your driving over rumble strips or something . if this is the case , you will need a new TC . if you want your trans to last you need to get a trans cooler & change the fluid & filter ever 20,000 miles . the clunking is probably like FORD TOUGH said . I am still running stock 4r70w (same trans as you ) w/ modified valve body , Precision Industries TC , trans cooler & a different tune . the 2 things you dont want to do w/ these transmissions are , dont overheat it ( ideal temp is 170*F ) & dont do any WOT shifts into & out of O/D or you will lose O/D .

Last edited by blstoff; 10-15-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:03 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

blstoff, where did you place your transcooler. Are you running a fan on it ?? ALso, what stall are you running ??
CHimChim, there is a dead spot in my trans too where it won't down shift. Not sure if i's the TC. Mine is locked at all times, did it thru a tune and max the line pressures out
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blstoff
its probably torque converter shudder . the shudder occurs when the torque converter is locking up . overheating is the main cause , which breaks down the fluid . when TC shudder occurs it will feel like its hesitating & kind of like your driving over rumble strips or something . if this is the case , you will need a new TC . if you want your trans to last you need to get a trans cooler & change the fluid & filter ever 20,000 miles . the clunking is probably like FORD TOUGH said . I am still running stock 4r70w (same trans as you ) w/ modified valve body , Precision Industries TC , trans cooler & a different tune . the 2 things you dont want to do w/ these transmissions are , dont overheat it ( ideal temp is 170*F ) & dont do any WOT shifts into & out of O/D or you will lose O/D .
++++1
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Yeh that does make sense. A Torque Converter might just be it. I'm definitely changing the trans fluid/filter as well as my oil filters in the near future. However i brought the car used at 33k miles and I have a strong feeling the previous owner beat the **** out of it. Examples are power shifting and like you said earlier with the o/d button. I am guilty of it myself, but i stopped doing it a while back. Thanks for the feedback mates. Going to have it looked at it asap.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sfi
blstoff, where did you place your transcooler. Are you running a fan on it ?? ALso, what stall are you running ??
CHimChim, there is a dead spot in my trans too where it won't down shift. Not sure if i's the TC. Mine is locked at all times, did it thru a tune and max the line pressures out
my cooler is in front of my intercooler . I do have a fan on it . this is what I have...http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku .

mine stalls to 3500 .

Last edited by blstoff; 10-15-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChimChim
Yeh that does make sense. A Torque Converter might just be it. I'm definitely changing the trans fluid/filter as well as my oil filters in the near future. However i brought the car used at 33k miles and I have a strong feeling the previous owner beat the **** out of it. Examples are power shifting and like you said earlier with the o/d button. I am guilty of it myself, but i stopped doing it a while back. Thanks for the feedback mates. Going to have it looked at it asap.
Don't feel bad, I bought my 00 Mustang GT 5 Speed off a college kid age 22 for $9,000, who I can tell beat the crap out of my car considering I have forked over $6,500 approximately in order to get the car back in perfect working condition. The engine blew up a month after I bought the car, btw.

Quick Reply: A few mechanical questions. Help a guy out