4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My dad F*cked my clutch.. idk what to do..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default My dad F*cked my clutch.. idk what to do..

so i came home from school and my car was moved... my dad decided to put my car up on the ramps and change my oil for me. alright thanks dad. but i get there and he said he thinks he might have f*cked something up... so now im like wtf did you do? turns out that he was trying to get my car up the ramps and he was burning the **** out of my clutch bc he said white smoke started pouring out of the hood... (my sister said the smell was so strong..she was inside in her room..)

so i took it for a drive, it doesnt catch anywhere close to how it used to, and my grab point is WAYYYY up top (higher than it already is).. the catch point went from like a 2 inch margin to a 1 inch margin.. hopefully im making sense. basically i cant really launch smoothly without burning my clutch.. i have no more play in my clutch. its basically either engaged, or its not. there is really no more in-between.

i took it to my mechanic (sis bf's father/brother)...the brother said it was shot but i can get a couple more thousand miles out of it.. the dad said its fine and it doesnt slip...he said i just took some life off of it.

My clutch isnt slipping.. its just that the catch point is so f*cked up that i dont even want to drive it anymore..

my questions to you guys are as follows:
1) did my dad's ONE experience really f*ck my clutch up that badly?
2) if i get a firewall adjuster/clutch quadrant, will that fix anything?
3) should a clutch be my next mod/do i really need a new one?

im relaly mad.. gotta fix something that wasnt even broke to begin with.. i never told my dad to change my oil.. it was my understanding that i was either going to do it with my sis' bf on the lift, or do it WITH my dad..

educated me guys. sorrry for the long post. im just upset and i wanna understand

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 10-16-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Richbrad08
3rd Gear Member

wow, i did the same thing trying to get my stang up on ramps. but i dident have no smoke come out just the burn clutch smell.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

yeah... it really sucks because this could be a very costly mistake
Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like an honest mistake on your dad's part...seems like he was just trying to help.

If your clutch still works, then what is the problem? So it took some life off a part that you knew was going to need replaced one day anyways. I am sure that you will eventually get used to the knew engaging positition....not worth making a deal about.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

clutch install isn't that big of a deal once it goes out, order a new one, drop the trans and throw it on.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:27 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Your Dad was just trying to help. It was just a mistake. I wouldn't put it on him too much. If you can drive it, just drive it. When you need a new clutch replace it.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

Yea man, at least your dad likes to work on cars. Mine thinks mine is a waste of time.... but when we talk about cutting grass and lawncare he gets a crazy look in his eyes haha.

Im in the middle of switching my clutch out (spec stg 3 FTW) Nobody in my family is mechanicaly inclined so they all thought i was crazy to do it by myself. Its not that big of a deal at all + you get all the nice new parts...... I about wet my pants when everything came in.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Fobra
Banned

pull up on the clutch and see if it works better
Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
HNDA ETR
1st Gear Member

Sounds like if was bound to happen very soon anyway. So can't get mad at your dad. Riding it once shouldn't do much.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

YOur clutch was already going out...Thank your dad for finding it.

Quick Reply: My dad F*cked my clutch.. idk what to do..