4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HARD SHIFTING

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
SANJOSE2000MUSTANGGT

Default HARD SHIFTING

I recently bought a 2000 mustang GT, it's having trouble shifting gears. When engine is cool, it shifts semi-easily. When warmed up, it's very difficult to shift. I HAVE TO PUSH SHIFTER HARD TO GET INTO GEAR. Also Reverse will always grind into place. Is it the clutch? or is it a tranny problem? Is it a tranny fluid issue?
PLEASE HELP DIAG THIS PROBLEM
Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Do you have a stock clutch cable/quadrant?

If the cable is adjustable, you should start by tightening it up at either the firewall or clutch fork (depending on the cable) If its stock, try re-adjusting the clutch pedal. Push it all the way down, let it come back up, then pull forward on the pedal and see if it clicks or "ratchets" up a bit.

Next would be check for leaks at the trans and make sure the fluid level is good... If all that checks out then its most likely an internal problem...It could be a lot of things from there
Old 10-17-2008, 03:24 AM
SANJOSE2000MUSTANGGT

Clutch cable is stock.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Do you have a stock clutch cable/quadrant?

If the cable is adjustable, you should start by tightening it up at either the firewall or clutch fork (depending on the cable) If its stock, try re-adjusting the clutch pedal. Push it all the way down, let it come back up, then pull forward on the pedal and see if it clicks or "ratchets" up a bit.

Next would be check for leaks at the trans and make sure the fluid level is good... If all that checks out then its most likely an internal problem...It could be a lot of things from there
I agree whole-heartedly. Try those things first. I have a little bit of trouble getting the car into second occasionally but it just feels rough.. I just apply normal pressure and it goes in.

If none of these things rectify the problem.. then you have a serious synchronizer problem internally. My transmission grinds in reverse too, at 50k miles.. I have a 2000GT just like you. You have to learn to deal with the reverse grind, it's normal.. just slow it down a little when you are going into reverse.. take your time. What I always do is

1. Clutch in
2. Shift into 1st gear
3. After putting it in first.. with your foot still on the clutch, throw it into reverse with the car NOT moving
4. Drive
Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

same car as well and same grinding gear problem,if it grinds i put it up in 4th then back to reverse. usually works
Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
SteveMasterZerox9
2nd Gear Member

^ +1 If your having trouble getting it into reverse just try putting it in 4th first then it should go in pretty easily.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveMasterZerox9
^ +1 If your having trouble getting it into reverse just try putting it in 4th first then it should go in pretty easily.
Really? 4th works better than 1st huh? I'll have to try that.

Do you T45'ers like me ever have the problem of the stickshift just simply NOT going into reverse? Like.. no grind or anything.. just.. won't go in (like it's hitting a hard rubber wall, feels like) The car is standing still when this occurs, and I double clutch to remedy the situation.. sometimes (rarely) it takes a triple clutching.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

i might have had that a few times but not very often. grinding into reverse is the only bitch
Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

seems like the grinding for me only really happens when I'm driftin a lil bit..
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
pro2a

OK, try this.........The reason reverse grinds, is because it is not a "synchronized" gear. In order to alleviate the "grinding" into reverse, swing the shifter into 5th gear, then go to reverse. 5th gear will stop reverse from spinning inside of the trans and ease the application of reverse.

As far as any other issues with the trans/clutch, try the remedy that the previous forum poster mentioned, and, considering that you probably bought the vehicle used, change the transmission fluid!!

Quick Reply: HARD SHIFTING