4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help from anyone with aftermarket catback

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Help from anyone with aftermarket catback

So ever since I bought a used Borla Stinger catback from ebay and had it put in, I noticed that my right tail pipe is VERY close to my tires. It's not a problem right now as I am running the stock rims with 245's but I have plans to mount wider tires on later and I am afraid that this will become a big problem.

I am pretty sure a lot of people with Borlas don't have problems mounting wider tires so I donno whats wrong with mine. I'm sure the previous owner did not bend the pipes the wrong way or anything. I took a closer look when I had my car lifted at the exhaust shop and the right endpipe is right inbetween the gas tank and the tires. I think it's just the way that the Borlas are bent from the manufacturer.

Anyway I took some pics just now and I was just wondering if anyone else with any aftermarket catback has their pipes so close to their wheels?

The pictures taken from the rear are kinda deceiving as it looks like it is already touching but it isn't. The other picture shows what I mean.

Basically it looks like the final bend of the endpipe is closest to the wheel. I don't know why Borla can't just make the pipes "hug" around the gas tank a bit more and then make the final bend a bit further back to clear the the entire wheel.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

Damn that sucks my pypes violarors are a couple of inches away and I have 315s
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

There is a reason the pipe is bent like that, and doesn't hug the gas tank. Borla is a pristine exhaust company.. and if the pipe was bent differently, it wouldn't sound the same. These pipes are tested and tested and tested before production. I hate to say I can't tell ya it it's normal or not though.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I am pretty sure if Borla made the final bend a bit more behind it won't really affect the sound. Besides, what I am worried about is why I am pretty sure a lot of people have Stingers with not clearance issues with wide tires and/or why Borla didn't think about that.

So is there no one else out there with an aftermarket catback who can tell me whether their pipes are so close to their tires like that?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM
98F150/GT
2nd Gear Member

you can probably "twist" the exhaust some. I dont know how many pieces the borla is but I know I had it on my truck and you could tweak its position some. I wouldnt blame borla for it being so close because they cost so much for a reason. The installers should have tweaked it some IMO
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

It's a shame nobody here really knows =( Feel your pain man
Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

What does the left one look like? Is it in the same position on the left side?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Evenexchange: Thanks man. It really blows. I was hoping that I wouldn't have any problems with a Borla system, which is appearently one of the best.

My left one clears my tires just fine. I can mount 315's on there no problem I am sure. it seems completely different. I think theres not as much gas tank on the left side.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 PM
jbors1
1st Gear Member

Man people will tell you whatever you want to hear. To be honest it could be as simple as a sagging rubber exhaust gromit. But on the flip side it could also be a bad bend. Everyone that was giving borla praise for being a pristene product; good, they are a great manufacturer, but dont be so naive to think that tested or not, mistakes cant be made. Maybe borla made a mistake with the passenger side bend around the fuel tank. Either way its an easy fix, take it to any exhaust shop and they should be able to fix it for like 35 bucks. Hope this helps. By the way mine is fine but i had it custom built.

Josh
Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah I might be able to get a shop to make me a new endpipe but I'm trying to save that for last resort.

I find it quite amazing that only a few people have replied to this. So theres only like 4 people in this forum with new edges and an aftermarket exhaust?? I'm just interested in how other people's catbacks look from the same angle as the pics and whether they are so close to the tires as that.

Quick Reply: Help from anyone with aftermarket catback