4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 T-3650 Transmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default 2002 T-3650 Transmission Noise

Lately Ive noticed that I can hear a lot more gear noise than normal. Its not like a normal gear whine but more of a metallic grinding noise coming from the transmission. It only seems to do it when Im heavy on the gas in all gears. I DON'T have an aftermarket shifter so I know its not from that. I changed the trans fluid almost 6 months ago and put 3.5 qt. in it. Its just an odd noise, and Ive been searching trying to find some answers for the last hour and just can seem to find any. Any suggestions on what it could be or anything I need to look for would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Well if it's not just some normal noise that has just now caught you ear and has you obsessing (and this has happened to me more than once in 50 years), then there's something wrong. First thing I'd do would be to drain the tranny and see what the oil and drain plug look like.

If you don't get chunks of metal, and if the plug is clean or has just the usual small amount of fluff sticking to it, and the oil is not real sparkley in sunlight, then there's nothing to worry about, just listen to see if the noise worsens.

OTH if there are chunks of metal, a big wad of stuff on the drain plug, and the oil is sort of fascinating to look at in bright sunlight, then it sounds like (no pun intended) you'll be needing a transmission in a bit.

What fluid did you use? Also, 3.2 qt is the recommend fill for the 3650.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:09 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Well I changed the fluid today and nothing was out of the ordinary with the fluid. After that me and a buddy of mine took the car out for a spin and its still doing it. He thinks it the clutch. Even with the car parked and in neutral when I engage the clutch it's very noisy. I had originally thought that it might be the clutch, but threw it out b/c the car only has 65,000 miles and only about 8,000 of those have been what I put on the car. When I bought the car the clutch felt "ok" not super great. As I have driven the car the clutch as seemed to get softer and it seems to engage at a higher and higher points. Also idk if its worth noting but the rubber on the clutch pedal was so completely tore up that it was falling off, so im starting to suspect than the person who owned it before me was a clutch rider. Also after I have adjusted the clutch in first gear it seems to have no affect on where the clutch engages and how it feels.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The good news is the tranny is OK....

Does the noise change if you step lightly on the pedal, just enoogh to take up the "slack"? Does it change when you fully engage the clutch?

Some 3650's (including mine) have a noisy mainshaft that can be easily heard at idle with the clutch out, it goes away when you step on the clutch.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

in response to above: wouldn't that be a TOB?

it is possible you are due for a new clutch. it may be a PITA but i would pull the tranny and check the clutch, if you are gonna go that far i would buy a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and a new clutch.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Racing2fast
1st Gear Member

I would bet on a Throw-Out Bearing (TOB) as mine is doing the same thing. I am in the market to buy a clutch/TOB and do it all at once. As for the LightWeight FlyWheel that's questionable...... As most of the N/A cars do not benefit from the Aluminum Flywheels... The steel FlyWheels have more inertia behind them and allow you to get off the line quicker. I have heard of folks replacing the flywheels with the Lighter one's to only loose performance off the line. In a 1/4 mile race it's questionable if it's worth it or not, unless you have a turbo or supercharger then I would skip the flywheel, and just get your stocker resurfaced to mate up to a new clutch if you go that route. You may just wanna replace the TOB and call it a day. That's just your pref. when you decide how far you wanna go....... Play with the clutch and see if the noise changes at different RPM levels while driving/shifting gears. That will help you figure out if it's TOB Just my opinions!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Its possible its the TOB I've had a bad TOB in my last car and its sounded much different than this. This is more of a grind instead of a squeal like a TOB. Plus I must fully disengage the clutch for the noise to stop and the minute I engage the clutch its starts instantly. The noise is consistent through out all the gears. Its not bad when Im just cruising but if I hit the gas and accelerate the noise becomes more prevalent and the car seems to just lag.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:08 AM
DaRkHoRsE2003

I understand completely what you are going through because I am having the same problem and I cant figure out what it is. I dont get the noise in fourth gear thought but in all the other gears i can hear the noise coming from the tranny/clutch area. It is very annoying but I do wonder what it is. It happens only when I touch the gas a little but when i take my foot off of the gas pedal it goes away. Someone please help !!??
Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Yea sounds pretty close to whats happening with mine. Mine only does it when I go WOT the car lags for a couple seconds the sound goes away and the car starts to pick up. If I just slowly execrate it's not as bad but still there.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:17 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Is this a loud noise, or more of a subtle whine--if the latter then it's just normal gear noise, 4th gera is a 1:1 ratio and will be normally quieter. The 3650 was not engineered to be an exceedingly quiet transmission, but instead a somewhat robust (360 ft/lbs is not a toy transmission) unit for higher performance cars and light trucks...

Quick Reply: 2002 T-3650 Transmission Noise