4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Right after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Yea but.. my car's new long block engine has a 3 years warranty on it.. If I put in 6 quarts and something happens.. I'm screwed.. because that's not what the book says.. lol

Can't you create a frothy oil by overfilling it? The connecting rod starts getting oiled if you put that much in..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yeah, Heaven forbid the connecting rod should "start getting oiled" (what does that mean?)...

I have had several sources (here and through other postings and PMs) verify that the oil pans are the same across all 4.6L engines, to the extent that I buy it--and that Ford's reduced fill recommendation for '98 through '01 was based on bad information. And that they corrected that in '02.

Feel free to do whatever you want. I would run 6 qts in that engine unless you drive like my mother-in-law (she's 88)...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Well, the connecting rods I meant like.. obviously if you over-fill the oil pan you can froth your oil.. the connecting rods will whip the oil like mayonaise.

I think I will go with 5 Quarts because I take the car to about 3k maximum. In 3,000 miles worth of having my new engine.. I have only brought the car up to 5k once. (4k a couple times)
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Well, the connecting rods I meant like.. obviously if you over-fill the oil pan you can froth your oil.. the connecting rods will whip the oil like mayonaise.

I think I will go with 5 Quarts because I take the car to about 3k maximum. In 3,000 miles worth of having my new engine.. I have only brought the car up to 5k once. (4k a couple times)
Modern engines oils are extremely reluctant to do that, with all sorts on anti-foaming agents, in fact one would have to really work at it to get synthetic oil to froth up at all...

In any event running 5.0 qts won't hurt anything as long as you're not even close to pushing it. Musta' been scary at 5k
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

You're referring to Windage.
The amount of Oil you use does affect windage (Correct vs. Not correct). You can counteract this by adding the correct amount of oil.. Or a windage tray if you're really, really ****.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
myslow2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lowtryx
You're referring to Windage.
The amount of Oil you use does affect windage (Correct vs. Not correct). You can counteract this by adding the correct amount of oil.. Or a windage tray if you're really, really ****.
Actually it is called aeration, with windage being one of the causes. There are several other ways to induce oil aeration in an engine outside of the crank and connecting rods whipping through the oil. Ford corrected this problem with various other developments, which I'll allow the posters to figure out.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by myslow2002gt
Actually it is called aeration, with windage being one of the causes. There are several other ways to induce oil aeration in an engine outside of the crank and connecting rods whipping through the oil. Ford corrected this problem with various other developments, which I'll allow the posters to figure out.
Touche, sir.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

evenexchange- you really never take your car past 3k? Its good for the motor to be ran up the rpm band every once in a while.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwarner0297
evenexchange- you really never take your car past 3k? Its good for the motor to be ran up the rpm band every once in a while.
How often would you say?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
starting the car with the gas pedal all the way down cuts ignition? I didn't know that lol
The car will start with the pedal all the way to the floor. That's how you start it if the engine is flooded.

Mine car takes 5 quarts. 6 overfills it. But, from the discussion on this thread, it sounds like the only difference in oil capacity between the 99-01 and the 02-04 may be the marks on the dip stick.

I run 5 quarts (what the manual says) and I run my motor to redline all the time. There is no sign of any problems. There are also a lot of high mileage 99-01's around so why is overfilling the oil a good thing?

Quick Reply: Right after an oil change