4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 Mustang 4.6 Cylinder Head

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
03Mustang281ci
1st Gear Member

Default 2003 Mustang 4.6 Cylinder Head

Hello everyone, I bought the car 30,000 miles ago in early 08 this year, and the other day I was coming back from a NJ Devils game in Newark when I heard the car make a pop corn sound, turns out it blew a cylinder. It's all covered under warranty. I knew there was a problem the week before when I was hearing a ticking sound. The place I'm having the car worked on is the dealership I bought the car at.

Now my question is, is there anything else I should have replaced being that I need a new cylinder head? I love my car, I wash it once a week and wax it once a month and I'm not too hard on it, I get on it a bit, but who doesn't, it's a mustang lol. Thanks for the help, and I hope that everyone else is having better luck with their mustangs!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

You blew out a what?

What'd they say is wrong with it?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
03Mustang281ci
1st Gear Member

They said it needs a new cylinder head.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Slip the tech a C-note and have him install some aftemarket heads and cam!

John
Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the infamous blown spark plug. These engines like to puke their plugs every once in a while, because Ford (in their infinite wizdumb) saved a couple of cents per engine by not putting enough threads in the head to hold the plugs properly. You are lucky that they are going to replace the head under warranty. Just make sure that they check the plugs in the other head for tightness. I check mine once a month. Use a torque wrench set at 11-13 ft lbs.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by kenv
Sounds like the infamous blown spark plug. These engines like to puke their plugs every once in a while, because Ford (in their infinite wizdumb) saved a couple of cents per engine by not putting enough threads in the head to hold the plugs properly. You are lucky that they are going to replace the head under warranty. Just make sure that they check the plugs in the other head for tightness. I check mine once a month. Use a torque wrench set at 11-13 ft lbs.
Actually it likely cost a tiny bit more to counter bore the spark plug holes.

It was done (not unwisely, but probably unrealistically) to minimise the potential for the plugs seizing into the head--plugs that were scheduled to be changed 2, or maybe 3, times over the engine's useful life--every 100k miles.

Then along came enthusiasts (like me) who changed the plugs more often than every 100k miles, sometimes much more often, and those who don't believe in using properly sized torque wrenches for mundane tasks like changing spark plugs. I have installed literally hundreds of spark plugs in my life and often not used a torque wrench, on full-threaded gasketed plugs. Partial threaded tapered seat plugs are a whole different ballgame, use a torque wrench and you will not have problems...
Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
03Mustang281ci
1st Gear Member

lol, thanks everyone. The car will be ready for me to pick up in about a week, I can't wait to drive it again I miss it! I'm replacing all the plugs and wires, thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Actually it likely cost a tiny bit more to counter bore the spark plug holes.

It was done (not unwisely, but probably unrealistically) to minimise the potential for the plugs seizing into the head--plugs that were scheduled to be changed 2, or maybe 3, times over the engine's useful life--every 100k miles.

Then along came enthusiasts (like me) who changed the plugs more often than every 100k miles, sometimes much more often, and those who don't believe in using properly sized torque wrenches for mundane tasks like changing spark plugs. I have installed literally hundreds of spark plugs in my life and often not used a torque wrench, on full-threaded gasketed plugs. Partial threaded tapered seat plugs are a whole different ballgame, use a torque wrench and you will not have problems...
i know from experience backed out a plug on my cobra, tapered ahh! im suprized i could get it fixed for $30 all i had to do was buy a buddy lunch
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
03Mustang281ci
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
i know from experience backed out a plug on my cobra, tapered ahh! im suprized i could get it fixed for $30 all i had to do was buy a buddy lunch
lol, I went to the dealership they told me it's going to be a little over 5 grand for everything, I know dealerships love to charge like 3x more then anything usualy would be, but that's okay it's covered You're very lucky though!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:57 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Originally Posted by 03Mustang281ci
lol, I went to the dealership they told me it's going to be a little over 5 grand for everything, I know dealerships love to charge like 3x more then anything usualy would be, but that's okay it's covered You're very lucky though!
My favorite part about that 5K dollar figure, is that about 3800 is probably labor.

I replaced a head on my passenger side for the exact same reason. Head cost me 200 (might have been 800 from a dealership) and then probably 120 in gaskets (so maybe 200-300 from a dealership) the rest is just time.

Quick Reply: 2003 Mustang 4.6 Cylinder Head