4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new to tuners

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

Default new to tuners

i have a 99 mustang gt automatic and i got frpp 4.10 gears installed and it doesnt seem to shift right in WOT and also part throttle. i just had the shop flash the correct ratio when i got the gears but ive learned that i need a tuner to fix these problems and to also help give me some more horsepower. i cant afford a custom dyno tune so i was wondering how successful i would get doing it myself.

can i load the "preloaded tune" that it comes with from say bamachips or americanmuscle and then also alter the tune to change some of my own settings or is it just one or the other? i know i may sound dumb but when i do recieve my tuner could someone tell me the main things to change to get the best performance because suprisingly i cant find anything specific when i search.

thank you very much!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

order it through american muscle and you put down your mods and they will create a custom tune for you
Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

You can also go through Breenspeed. Those guys have good technical support.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 PM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

ok but will they fix the shifting problem? i dont rele have many mods besides the muffler delete and 4.10s so would there b a point in custom?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
KJohnson99gt

yes, you can change all your shift points plus many many other things.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Can't talk for everyone else but Breenspeed has been very good.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

how much hp do u think ide get with a brenspeed tune?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I think around 8-12. But just having the tuner is worth it. You can do your on diagnostics readings, change shift points, change rpm idel (made my cams sound great) and so on and so on...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
sufferer

Originally Posted by mr_mustang23
i have a 99 mustang gt automatic and i got frpp 4.10 gears installed and it doesnt seem to shift right in WOT and also part throttle. i just had the shop flash the correct ratio when i got the gears but ive learned that i need a tuner to fix these problems and to also help give me some more horsepower. i cant afford a custom dyno tune so i was wondering how successful i would get doing it myself.

can i load the "preloaded tune" that it comes with from say bamachips or americanmuscle and then also alter the tune to change some of my own settings or is it just one or the other? i know i may sound dumb but when i do recieve my tuner could someone tell me the main things to change to get the best performance because suprisingly i cant find anything specific when i search.

thank you very much!
I'm kinda in the same boat and want some answers...I bought a Diablosport tuner just to turn off my rear O2 sensors due to my O/R X like they advertise, only to find out this option is no longer available. I didn't return it because the pre-loaded tune makes my car (2000 GT) run a lot better, more power, better idle, better throttle response. There are so many other parameters to adjust but I haven't messed with anything because I don't want to screw anything up, so what changes should I make to get the best results from the tuner? (ex. spark timing, etc.) Thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sufferer
I'm kinda in the same boat and want some answers...I bought a Diablosport tuner just to turn off my rear O2 sensors due to my O/R X like they advertise, only to find out this option is no longer available. I didn't return it because the pre-loaded tune makes my car (2000 GT) run a lot better, more power, better idle, better throttle response. There are so many other parameters to adjust but I haven't messed with anything because I don't want to screw anything up, so what changes should I make to get the best results from the tuner? (ex. spark timing, etc.) Thanks!
I have had my Tuner (diablosport) for quite some time now, comes in handy a lot.
on my Mach i have the timing all the way advanced in both of the ranges, we have to run 91-93 octane so this doesnt create a problem, i dont have any pinging but if i were to run into that problem you can just back the timing off until it stops and then give it another bump down to assure yourself it will not knock/ping anymore. other parameters i change usually is to turn T/C off permanently and my o2 sensors off with an O/R midpipe. i guess i have an older software version if i can turn my sensors off. anyways other than getting a dyno tune thats all about you can do, because fuel is usually right where it needs to be.

Quick Reply: new to tuners