4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine is IN!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine is IN!

So last night i finished up everything with my rebuild except the wire harness.. ill tackle that today after school. But few things before it is completed fullly

1st : I did a egr delete because pypes headers dont have the part to connect the egr pipe to the port on the header. So i am just going to delete that.. Does anyone know of where i can get a delete kit? I found the block off plate but dont know where to get a cap for the port on the header??

2nd : I just want everyone to know that buying pypes long tube headers is a bad idea.. I bought their headers and mid pype. The headers contact the transmission on the passenger side (which really isnt a big deal) also the stater motor has to be shaved to fit in with the headsrs. AND! the mid pipe i bought from pypes that is suppose to line up with the headers didnt!!! I swear they were drunk when they produced these or something. Also when i tried calling them about the egr problem they were no help. They told me that there was suppose to be a male thread part to connect the egr to but then they said oh nope we dont supply that you just have to get this block off plate (they only showed me the plate and not the cap for the header).. and something that i am worried about is the O2 sensors are pointing down on the mid pipe and i can see them getting ripped off by a bump or something
Old 11-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Modular Depo has the kit for 15.

5/8 pipe thread, go to home depot...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Modular Depo has the kit for 15.

5/8 pipe thread, go to home depot...
Ya kno i just thought about it i need something different then just a cap because i dont have that thread to screw on the cap on these headers. I would need like a bolt to screw into the port. These headers are so ****ed! wtf
Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

i ran into similar problems but you can just take out the male/female connector off your stock manifolds and screw it into the pypes headers. The midpipe is a PITA to get on but you should be able to stretch it on. I had a BBK x and i was able to pull it over so i could bolt it up. As for the starter that is the only thing that really pissed me off. I ended up just sucking the starter on with the bolts which just put a small dent in the header. that doesn't bother me though.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97modifiedmustangGT
i ran into similar problems but you can just take out the male/female connector off your stock manifolds and screw it into the pypes headers. The midpipe is a PITA to get on but you should be able to stretch it on. I had a BBK x and i was able to pull it over so i could bolt it up. As for the starter that is the only thing that really pissed me off. I ended up just sucking the starter on with the bolts which just put a small dent in the header. that doesn't bother me though.
Yeah these headers really did **** me off ha, sorry but im glad to hear i was not the only one that had this problem ha. And i bought my car with BBK shorty headers so i never had the stock manifolds to get that piece. On the BBKs it is welded in.. but right now i just wanna delete the EGR and get my baby running.

Does anyone know if it would be okay to turn my car on with out the egr port on the header being blocked off. I really wanna hear what it sounds like-ish haha

also would deleting this throw my check engine light on? i thought i saw somewhere that it will and i have to get it tuner to turn it off
Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't say i'm pissed off with the product but it is kind of annoying that you have to put a dent in new headers, in order to get the starter back in (or grinding like you did). I think they are good headers but just think about it, you will have problems with every header install out there that makes you want to burn down the company who made them. they are worth it though.

I wouldn't start it without it capped cause you will get a nasty exhaust leak i would guess and it will sound like garbage, not even close to what it will sound like with it capped. as for the CEL i'm not too sure but i would guess you will get one.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't say i'm pissed off with the product but it is kind of annoying that you have to put a dent in new headers, in order to get the starter back in (or grinding like you did). I think they are good headers but just think about it, you will have problems with every header install out there that makes you want to burn down the company who made them. they are worth it though.

I wouldn't start it without it capped cause you will get a nasty exhaust leak i would guess and it will sound like garbage, not even close to what it will sound like with it capped. as for the CEL i'm not too sure but i would guess you will get one.
ahh man this wait is killing me haha.. i called pypes and asked them to email me the thread size for the port and ill prob goto home depot for a bolt of some sort to block it off.

Really i am happy with the headers, the stainless steel is why i got them. Now that they are in and all im over it. It was just a bitch putting them in. How did you install your headers? I was putting my engine in at the same time which KINDA made it easier ha
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

try this

HERE
Old 11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

i was also putting my engine in but i could not drop it in with the headers on because it kept hitting the transmission then i could get it by that then it would bind up on the k member. I only had the passenger side one on though since the driver side has to have the steering shaft through it. So i ended up pulling the motor back out taking the header off and dropping the motor back in. then pulled the k member and had the headers on in about 2 hours with no help.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

i was also putting my engine in but i could not drop it in with the headers on because it kept hitting the transmission then i could get it by that then it would bind up on the k member. I only had the passenger side one on though since the driver side has to have the steering shaft through it. So i ended up pulling the motor back out taking the header off and dropping the motor back in. then pulled the k member and had the headers on in about 2 hours with no help.
ha wow yeah i refused to drop the k member. I ended up taking the transmission out and going that root. Had to drop the engine in the bolt up the driver side header then put the transmission in wth the passenger side loose and then after the transmission was back in i bolted down the last header. Total time for my engine install was like 7 hours!!