4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Procharger P-1SC question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dennis_112
Good to hear they are pro's always a plus. The chip may be enough for the car to run ok, but its not going to safe to run for long, you need to have your car dyno tuned after the install for the fuel tables to be correct and your air fuel ratio to be right on the money. Literally one degree of timing off and your car could be turned into a huge paper weight. I made 375hp and about the same tq. Also your going to need to change the injectors and the fuel pump. And get a new maf. But your installer hopefully knows these things. Again your stock injectors, maf, and fuel pump are not able to handle that amount of horsepower. I was without my car almost 2 weeks, but they could have been done sooner. The had a problem with the first fuel pump they had installed and it delayed them a few days changing the parts out. Should only take them a week or so to complete as long as things go smoothly, and they never do so count on a couple weeks. And the sound go to you tube and look them up its a different sound. Its not like a kb or eaton on the corbas more. Its sounds awesome though from the outside of the car. You can hear it form the inside, but its kinda quite.
Is all that stuff I need in the kit? I'm buying the entire procharger kit. If the chip that comes with it isn't good enough then why does my mechanic keep telling me that I don't need to buy it? He also tells me that I'll be with out a car for the max 3 days. He says that they do about 7-10 superchargers a month. I'm guessing that number is high. If it is then he more then likely knows his stuff. When you got the procharger did you need a separate tuner when you got it dyno tuned?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:31 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I bought my P-1SC "tuner" kit with 3 core intercooler for 4k. About another 300 for a custom tune and a few pulls to ensure everything was running well. Wanna hear it?

IMO just spend the few hundred dollars more for the D-1 kit. I wish I would have because right now i'm at a horsepower speed bump with the blower. With the new pulley I'm getting I'll be spinning the blower close to around 54,000rpm, max is 62,000. Dangerously close to maxing out the blower. I'm hoping to break 520rwhp with the 3.0 and a slightly bigger crank pulley.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_3179.flv
Old 11-11-2008, 06:19 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

That depends on what kit your installer buys. There are tuner kits and what have you, also everything can be ordered separate. And yeah I had to buy a tuner, I have a SCT live wire, but the regular SCT tuner well work. They need the tuner to upload the tune. I just wouldnt trust a canned tune for my car, even if it did come from procharger. When I spent that much money I want the most power and it to be safe.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

People are getting you excited over nothing. $6,100 (installed) is a good price for a complete ProCharger kit that includes everything you need except the spark plugs. Those that say you can get a KB or a turbocharger for that price are talking parts only and the installation cost of both are far greater than that of a centrifical supercharger. At the time I had my supercharger installed I was quoted $1,000 for the ProCharger and $1,800 for the twin-screw.

The chip that comes with the kit is probably Diablosport chip. One of the best chips out there. You do not need a separate tuner. It is likely that your installer will also have a dyno. Ask him. Established ProCharger installers will dyno the car to make sure the tune is right and adjust the tune if necessary. My tune needed adjustment. Unfortunately, the tuner I picked only had SCT software so he sold me a SCT chip and cost and tuned the car for free.

You will be making around 370-375 rwhp. The stock MAF is good to about 350 rwhp. You will either need a new MAF or a Diablosport MAFia. I'm running the MAFia. It works great.

ProCharger is not going to recommend bad installers. If you are worried about the one you picked, asked for references. If he installs 7-10 per week he should be able to give you plenty of references.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Do the work your self, save some money and have it tuned on a dyno.

I did everything to my car except the basic tune.

The charger install itself isn't that bad, as long as you have some mechanical skills. There are a few little things that can possibly give you fits, (tensioner, pulleys ) but all in all it's pretty striaght forward.

i've always looked at it like this:
If someone else can do it, I can do it.

Procharger will send you a set of instructions for free if you don't have them, and with the instructions it's just like playing with Lego's.

I think a $1000 is ridiculous for an install, it took me about 3 days to do, and that was considering I didn't have instructions for the first 2. There are a few little things that take a while, but a garage setup ready to go with instructions in hand should have it done within a day.

After taking it off a few times for different issues, I feel like i could take the whole procharger setup off and put it back on in less than 4 hours. It's as easy to install the blower itself as it as any other belt driven accessory.

The fuel pump swap could take some time, depending on how you do it, and running the piping can take some time, but I don't see anyone not being capable of doing it.

It's very intimidating at first, but keep in mind everything will go back on just like it comes off.

A chip that you get is probably going to be fine, but most people including myself like the assurance of knowing for sure your air fuel is right, and that it's making the power it should be. The best way to do this is to put it on a dyno.

Last edited by Quicktime_GT; 11-11-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Quicktime_GT
Do the work your self, save some money and have it tuned on a dyno.

I did everything to my car except the basic tune.

The charger install itself isn't that bad, as long as you have some mechanical skills. There are a few little things that can possibly give you fits, (tensioner, pulleys ) but all in all it's pretty striaght forward.

i've always looked at it like this:
If someone else can do it, I can do it.

Procharger will send you a set of instructions for free if you don't have them, and with the instructions it's just like playing with Lego's.

I think a $1000 is ridiculous for an install, it took me about 3 days to do, and that was considering I didn't have instructions for the first 2. There are a few little things that take a while, but a garage setup ready to go with instructions in hand should have it done within a day.

After taking it off a few times for different issues, I feel like i could take the whole procharger setup off and put it back on in less than 4 hours.
+1^ deff try to do it yourself you will save the money you would need to dyno tune. it took my friend and i about 13-16 hours to install my kit.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Fobra
Banned

- I got quoted 4500 for install and tune for stage 2 procharger - when you buy the system from the shop that installs it you can get alot better deal. IMO you should not fall in love with the brand name, the odds are you can get a vortech for about 1k-2k less
Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
People are getting you excited over nothing. $6,100 (installed) is a good price for a complete ProCharger kit that includes everything you need except the spark plugs. Those that say you can get a KB or a turbocharger for that price are talking parts only and the installation cost of both are far greater than that of a centrifical supercharger. At the time I had my supercharger installed I was quoted $1,000 for the ProCharger and $1,800 for the twin-screw.

The chip that comes with the kit is probably Diablosport chip. One of the best chips out there. You do not need a separate tuner. It is likely that your installer will also have a dyno. Ask him. Established ProCharger installers will dyno the car to make sure the tune is right and adjust the tune if necessary. My tune needed adjustment. Unfortunately, the tuner I picked only had SCT software so he sold me a SCT chip and cost and tuned the car for free.

You will be making around 370-375 rwhp. The stock MAF is good to about 350 rwhp. You will either need a new MAF or a Diablosport MAFia. I'm running the MAFia. It works great.

ProCharger is not going to recommend bad installers. If you are worried about the one you picked, asked for references. If he installs 7-10 per week he should be able to give you plenty of references.
It is in no way a good deal at all...a supercharger kit is about 3800 on the high side, you can find them for even less these days...a dyno tune is at the most about 600...that's 4400 total, so they are charging 1700 for the install...that's a set of cams, an a/f ratio gauge and a sniper tuner which will let you tune the car yourself and you'd still have money to burn...buy the kit, read the manual a few times, pop the hood and go over each step, and then if you are still unsure I'd say go get it installed professionally...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Its a good deal, for a pro install, and have the peace of mind that everything is installed correctly. I thinks its worth the money. I can do basic mechanic skills, but I know when its over my head. I dont have enough tools, or a garage. So for me it would be a pita to do myself.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
It is in no way a good deal at all...a supercharger kit is about 3800 on the high side, you can find them for even less these days...a dyno tune is at the most about 600...that's 4400 total, so they are charging 1700 for the install...that's a set of cams, an a/f ratio gauge and a sniper tuner which will let you tune the car yourself and you'd still have money to burn...buy the kit, read the manual a few times, pop the hood and go over each step, and then if you are still unsure I'd say go get it installed professionally...
Mongoose kits with a Vortech are around $3,900 without an intercooler. ProChargers are around $4,300 with an intercooler (more for stage III). I have seen superchargers advertised for less but they are usually incomplete tuner kits and do not come with fuel injectors, fuel pump, and chip (or hand held tuner). Internet dealers typically sell for less than local stores and you have to do the install yourself.

http://modularpowerhouse.com/product...roducts_id=121
http://www.texashotrods.com/StoreFro...735&i=17880278

Installers typically charge between $1,000-1,200 for the install depending on the location. (Yes, it may be $90 per hour but their aren't may shops that charge less.) If you know of such good deals on the supercharger then please post the links. Remember the OP does not want to do the install himself. He didn't want to know what it would cost to buy parts. He wants a fully installed turn-key system.

Quick Reply: Procharger P-1SC question