4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Camshaft stage 2 or 3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM
v8.GT Stang
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Camshaft stage 2 or 3 ?

hello everyone Iam new here .. I have 2001 GT with bolt on ( pulleys , intake , LT with x-pipe and 3.55 gears .

and iam planning to go with camshaft stage 2 or 3 ..

iam asking what is the better for my daily use with stock heads ..

Iam going to change my valve springs and cam-gears and bolt-on cam gears kit and the retainers ..

I want power and my engine life

the stage 2 comp cam

550 lift

in- 270°
ex- 274°

the stage 3 comp cam

550 lift

in- 278°
ex- 282°

which one can i take for my daily use without replacing my heads

plz any one help me ... and sorry for my bad English
Old 11-25-2008, 09:11 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

If you are going to be running on a stock short block, there is no need to run stage 3 cams. The power range is set much higher then you are going to want to spin the engine.

A stage 2 cam should be all you need for a bolt on/cam car. Depend on the cams you get, it shouldn't be too bad to drive it daily.

Edit: There is something wrong with the specs you listed, I'll admit I'm not too familiar with comp cams but those numbers seem way to high.

Check these cams out, they are local guys to me and they have been getting great reviews in the cam world lately.

http://www.hitechmotorsport.com/inde...pper&Itemid=85
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

The specs are correct, but the stage 3 is way too much for you...the stage 2 is good for N/A and S/C engines...I had them when I was N/A and they really woke the car up on the top end...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Wow, they are using a lot more duration then most cams. I looked it up and apparently it's correct but that just surprised me.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:41 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
The specs are correct, but the stage 3 is way too much for you...the stage 2 is good for N/A and S/C engines...I had them when I was N/A and they really woke the car up on the top end...
The stage 2's are good for both N/A and S/C? I've read most N/A cams make it harder to build boost. I was looking for cams I could get that would give me some decent gains now without hurting me later when I supercharge. I saw a lot of people on other forums running blower cams on their N/A car, but it didn't make much sense to me.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sstang
The stage 2's are good for both N/A and S/C? I've read most N/A cams make it harder to build boost. I was looking for cams I could get that would give me some decent gains now without hurting me later when I supercharge. I saw a lot of people on other forums running blower cams on their N/A car, but it didn't make much sense to me.
Well you have a decision to make then. If you're serious about getting a s/c and it's going to be relatively soon you might as well go with the s/c cams now. You will loose some power while you're N/A but then you wouldn't have to worry about it later.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:32 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

I think it's the LSA that makes the difference in a N/A or S/C cam...a S/C cam usually has about 112-114 vs about 110-112 for a N/A cam...also a S/C cam has high lift and long duration on the exhaust side than a N/A cam...stage 2 and 3 comp cams are probably better for a S/C engine but the stage 2 is also pretty gor for a N/A if that makes any sense...
Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

If you know your going to go s/c in the future I really wouldn't waste your time with any NA cam, even if it does "ok" with a s/c application. I would just buy cams that are meant for the application you plan on running.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 PM
JEG447
2nd Gear Member

I have the comp stg 2's w/nitrous and they are great. Deathrattle is correct n/a or s/c has more to do with the LSA.
Defintely wouldn't go stg 3's if is your DD and if you do you'll need 4:10's at the minium
Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
v8.GT Stang
1st Gear Member

thank u all for the replays and i think i will go with stage 2 and change my spring and other thing needed ..

but can i ask one more Question ..

how much rwhp i should get with stage 2

Quick Reply: Camshaft stage 2 or 3 ?