4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

700 RPM idle ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:01 AM
aimhigh10

Default 700 RPM idle ????

My car seems to drop to 700 RPM after the car has warmed up. When I'm behind the car and listen to the exhaust and it seems to sputter every few seconds.

Also, when I'm driving and get on the gas, it seems to hesitate/sputter a little before it goes. Just changed the spark plugs to TR6 gapped at .040

What could be the problems. If its the IAC, where is that located on the 97 cobra, OR if its a vacuum leak, where do I check???

The car has not been tuned or chipped.

Need help
Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 AM
aimhigh10

Also, seems like one of my fuel injectors ticks louder than normal, think that might be a problem. Its on the drivers side middle.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Just curious why r u runing a plug step colder? Should of gone with T56 replacement plug.(NGK). Have you tighten down the plugs good? It might be a spark plug tick.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:13 AM
aimhigh10

The TR6 is what was recommended for the 96-98 cobra from what I read in the post and what a local mustang shop said. It had a slight tick before I changed the plugs anyway.

Just curious why after the car warms up, the rpms drop to 700 and the car begins to sputter/misfire. The car is very strong but hesitates a little when I punch the gas while driving. Don't understand why
Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
coolbreezex82x

It's gotta be MAF or vacume leak sinse you changed the plugs. Just take you rhand along the tubes to find vacume leak, with maf, i would just go to autozone, ask for one, ask if you can return if you bought the wrong part, puot it on, if it's not maf return it Autozone is good about returns where im from, but may wanna make sure u can return it so u dont waste money.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:26 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
Just curious why r u runing a plug step colder? Should of gone with T56 replacement plug.(NGK). Have you tighten down the plugs good? It might be a spark plug tick.
Im betting it was. I suggest you pull all your plugs and make sure none have backedout already. Check the threads on the plugs for any metal from the heads. The tick you hear could be the sparkplug backing or backed out. If you tightened the plugs TOO much you could have stripped out the threads.(Theres only 4) my car backed out a plug and it took me like 8 hours to fix it... and a WHOLE lot of ingenuity lol i heard heli coils like to backout so i made my own out of a Sav-a_thread kit with inserts and i dremeled one out to make a Seat for the sparkplugs. Your car has tapered sparkplug holes. Goodluck and i hope it wasn't the plug blowing out that was a real PITA.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by coolbreezex82x
It's gotta be MAF or vacume leak sinse you changed the plugs. Just take you rhand along the tubes to find vacume leak, with maf, i would just go to autozone, ask for one, ask if you can return if you bought the wrong part, puot it on, if it's not maf return it Autozone is good about returns where im from, but may wanna make sure u can return it so u dont waste money.
and you can't return any electrical item to autozone, esp sensors, they have a warranty but the only thing they will do is give you another one.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 AM
aimhigh10

When I changed the spark plugs, every single one went in fine, no problems with over stripping. I tightened all at the recommended torque. I'm not sure what the MAF would have to do with it. What about the IAC, where is that at on the 97 cobra or does it even have one???

I'm guessing that the low idle and engine sputter has something to do with the cars ticking. I swear the ticking is coming from the middle fuel injector on the drivers side. I put the screwdriver right up to it and listen with my ear. I can hear it ticking, man this is driving me nuts. Just want my car to run well. I just bought the dam thing 2 weeks ago. It only has 38K miles and only 20k on the new motor. The motor was replaced under warranty due to a bad engine knock. I have the paperwork to prove it.

Can't figure this dam low idle and engine miss
Old 11-29-2008, 06:51 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

put up a pic of ur engine or a 97 cobra engine and i will circle the IAC for u.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 AM
mustangman281
Banned

The sputter is because of those sparckplugs. They are too cold and too small of a gap for a stock engine.

The rpm drop is normal since there cars idle at 650 stock.

Quick Reply: 700 RPM idle ????