4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much leather in leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 04:31 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How much leather in leather seats?

Ford Pleather, using leather conditioner on them is fine. I do it atleast once a month, only takes a couple of minutes and keeps them looking fresh. It also helps with the cracking issues ford pleather seats have.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:08 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLKsteeda

I will be doing the leather upgrade to my seats that Steeda offers...and it's real leather, not the crap that ford installs. The price from Steeda is $1400 installed...front and back seats. Plus you can do custom colors...I plan on doing Black down the center of the seats and leaving the rest the Medium Graphite color to match my dash.

Damn, save some cash, and buy it from katzkins. You have choice of two tones and/or suede, leather type, etc. Do the install at home, they come with the factory style connections and whatnot, so its pretty straight forward.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UhadMEatGT

I will be doing the leather upgrade to my seats that Steeda offers...and it's real leather, not the crap that ford installs. The price from Steeda is $1400 installed...front and back seats. Plus you can do custom colors...I plan on doing Black down the center of the seats and leaving the rest the Medium Graphite color to match my dash.

Damn, save some cash, and buy it from katzkins. You have choice of two tones and/or suede, leather type, etc. Do the install at home, they come with the factory style connections and whatnot, so its pretty straight forward.
Any idea what those run for a full set? or what their website is?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:45 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UhadMEatGT

Unless you have the tools and know how to put on new skins you WILL be taking it to a shop to get professionally done. Sounds easy to do but I guarantee that you will never be able to get it correct.
So save yourself time by letting a pro do it.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

I'm not too worried about it.
When I had an Eclipse I bought factory GT seat covers, and recovered my GS seats myself. Just takes a little time and patience, but wasn't anything horrible... I've still got plenty of hogrings left over...
Old 06-03-2005, 08:08 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: closer9

I'm not too worried about it.
When I had an Eclipse I bought factory GT seat covers, and recovered my GS seats myself. Just takes a little time and patience, but wasn't anything horrible... I've still got plenty of hogrings left over...
What kind of material was it? Cloth? Your getting leather that dosent stretch much so good luck getting it tight.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:13 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

You will only take it to a professional shop if you have no skills whatsoever. Ive watched many teens do it in their house while watching TV at s10forum.
Seats arent like they used to be with all the hog-ringing, etc. Most just have plastic clips that attach underneath the seats, some have zippers, and velcro. As long as you lube the seat foam with some silicone to put the new covers on, its pretty easy.
Here is their home page:
http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/index.html
Old 06-04-2005, 02:20 AM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

well if your covers are shot then so is the foam. And I was talking about the one with the clips. You WILL never get those tight. So dont tell me you will watch tv while doing it.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:19 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

I will watch TV while doing it............now what? You sit them out in the sun to make them plyable 1st.......do I have to teach you everything......lol. The only way the foam is going to need any replacing is if the seat material wore through badly, and munched the foam. The foam will last for many years before replacement is needed.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:20 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You can also put them in the clothes dryer to get them warm before install. It isn't rocket science if you have any skills at all.

Quick Reply: How much leather in leather seats?