4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

anyone had a powertrain control module problem??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 AM
carlastang
1st Gear Member

Default anyone had a powertrain control module problem??

I've got a 03 GT and have replaced the bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor, but the CEL kept coming back, so i took it to my shop, they traced the problem to the PCM possibly. Ford says this is covered on the 8year, 80K mile warranty. Has anyone had problems like this before?? and would a brute force intake void this warranty?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:28 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

it is the dealers job to determine or try to prove that any mod has done damage to the engine. Thats what sema is fighting for. i would have it replaced because its covered by warranty.
never heard of the problem before, but doubt that your intake did any harm.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What is the exact DTC being thrown? There are a number of codes that relate to the O2 sensors, but do not mean the sensor is bad. Many indicate that the sensor is doing it's job and something else is bad, these are often misinterpreted by "parts changing and hope they get lucky" mechanics...
Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Bullitt2theHead
1st Gear Member

A dealership cannot void a warranty based on modifications (unless there are specifically stated terms in the owners manual). The only way they can deny you warranty coverage is if they can prove that the modification actually caused the damage. An intake cannot in any way fry a PCM. On the other hand, if you got a f250 and you jack the boost up to 40psi with a tuner and lift the heads, you will be paying the 6000 for new headgaskets/heads.

PCMs do go bad. Internal shorts can cause all sorts of funny, tricky problems to find. Its covered under the federal emissions warranty, so if they want to replace it, have em do it. Id take a new pcm anyday!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
carlastang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
What is the exact DTC being thrown? There are a number of codes that relate to the O2 sensors, but do not mean the sensor is bad. Many indicate that the sensor is doing it's job and something else is bad, these are often misinterpreted by "parts changing and hope they get lucky" mechanics...
as I stated earlier, I took it to my repair shop that is highly knowledgable in vehicle repair. They did a full "workup" to diagnose the CEL, and the only resolution stemmed back to the PCM. The short was coming from deeper within the system than the 02 sensor. the sensor was giving off the proper ohms. And BTW, it is not a bosch sensor, it is a motorcraft replacement. So the BS Bosch sensor malfunction is not the problem
Old 12-06-2008, 02:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Narrowband oxygen sensors produce a low-current output signal, between approximately 0.2V and 0.8V in normal operation--they do not "give off Ohms", whatever that might mean.

In any event it's good that you have the problem under control...
Old 12-06-2008, 03:34 PM
carlastang
1st Gear Member

I just misinterpretted what the shop said to me in regards to my current 02 sensor function. basically, it works.