4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 GT, the first of the 4.6's

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 04:01 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Default 96 GT, the first of the 4.6's

Specs, comments, problems, goods, bads. I heard that the first year of pretty much all cars is one full of problems but what about the 96? It came with the new 4.6 but does it have any major problems since it was the first year?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 96 GT, the first of the 4.6's

i bought a 96 gt from a guy in new hampshire whop drove it year round. It has 123000 + miles on it right now and it still runs amazing. i herd there can be sum problems with them...but if u dont abuse them they are a great car. I love mine, if u want one dont back down cuz its the first yeear of a new engine, like i sed the guy befoire me had no problems and neither have i so far
Old 06-01-2005, 04:54 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

That was what I wanted to hear. I was wondering about the engine the most. I'm gonna give the guy a call later and hopefully get a chance to see it. The guy said I was the 2nd person to call and he already had someone planing on looking at it tomorrow but I told him I can pick it up today so, i'll be bringing my cash and hopefully everything runs good and looks good. If it does I'll leave a huge post with tons of pics.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:01 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

ok i bought a 96 with 110k miles on it. week later, the intake manifold cracked which will happene to all 96 -98s because they have the plastic thermostat housing. also the heads on the 96-98s are low quality and rob the engine of horse power (around 40 including the intake manifold). so basically you have a v8 with usually a little under 200 hp. other problems with min were the battery died the first week and the tranny sucks really bad when it rains. all in all if i knew about the lack of sack and the intake manifold issues, i wouldnt have bought a 96 rather i would have bought a 99 for a little more $. the manifold will run you a lot to replace if you dont do the work yourself, and if you want big hp then you better start saving for the pi swap. id honestly buy it if its in your price range, and then do the manifold before it cracks. oh and the heater core on mine went shortly after i bought it too, which leaked coolant all under my carpet whcih had to be replaced.

to get mine up and running, and inspected it cost me 800$ cause i needed cats put in for state inspection. dont rush into buying a stang, thats what i did. i love mine now that ive fixed everything though.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:51 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Well im still keeping my 2000 for a daily driver and just planning on using this as a sunday driver. I was planing on doing a new intake, cam, heads, pretty much the works. It only has 93K miles and the guy has put in a new tranny, clutch, and new cats for emissions. Im kinda scared about the 93K miles and the guy putting in a new trans but I never asked him why he put in a new trans. He may have a good excuse. I'll be giving the guy a call in about 40 minutes. If I do buy this car its just going to be my toy. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the info.

And about the money issue, I cant afford to keep my daily driver and buy a 99+GT for a toy. Plus the guys only asking $4000 and I'll hopefully get it for less.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

very good price, new tranny and clutch is an awesome bonus
Old 06-01-2005, 06:56 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Thanks and lets just hope this guy is willing it sell it to me and not wait, because he told someone else he would sell it to him tomorrow. Plus I have $$Cash$$ and people love that little 4 letter word.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

ok i bought a 96 with 110k miles on it. week later, the intake manifold cracked which will happene to all 96 -98s because they have the plastic thermostat housing. also the heads on the 96-98s are low quality and rob the engine of horse power (around 40 including the intake manifold). so basically you have a v8 with usually a little under 200 hp. other problems with min were the battery died the first week and the tranny sucks really bad when it rains. all in all if i knew about the lack of sack and the intake manifold issues, i wouldnt have bought a 96 rather i would have bought a 99 for a little more $. the manifold will run you a lot to replace if you dont do the work yourself, and if you want big hp then you better start saving for the pi swap. id honestly buy it if its in your price range, and then do the manifold before it cracks. oh and the heater core on mine went shortly after i bought it too, which leaked coolant all under my carpet whcih had to be replaced.

to get mine up and running, and inspected it cost me 800$ cause i needed cats put in for state inspection. dont rush into buying a stang, thats what i did. i love mine now that ive fixed everything though.
Dude, you definitely bought a POS! My car has had none of the above problems and i'm at 115K. Just because your car sucked doesn't mean they all do...it must not have been taken care of at all.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Mine has had a few problems here and there, radiator ran motor went out is about the worst thing that has happened. I would have gotten a 99 if i'd known about the crappy non PI heads, but i like the bodystyle of the sn95. Plus i didn't have enough credit to finance that much, i could only handle about 8k, got mine for 6k. I'd say i got a good deal on it though. Im sitting on 102k miles right now, and still runs great. As for power, well i drove a 93 grand am gt before this, whats that got like 160hp maybe, and before that i was in a geo prism, felt like it had about 6hp, had to drive down hill to hit speeds over 25 mph (not really, but you get my point) But compared to those 2 cars i've got more than enough power........................ FOR NOW. I'd like to get about 350 in the end.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:00 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: sickspeedgt

Mine has had a few problems here and there, radiator ran motor went out is about the worst thing that has happened. I would have gotten a 99 if i'd known about the crappy non PI heads, but i like the bodystyle of the sn95. Plus i didn't have enough credit to finance that much, i could only handle about 8k, got mine for 6k. I'd say i got a good deal on it though. Im sitting on 102k miles right now, and still runs great. As for power, well i drove a 93 grand am gt before this, whats that got like 160hp maybe, and before that i was in a geo prism, felt like it had about 6hp, had to drive down hill to hit speeds over 25 mph (not really, but you get my point) But compared to those 2 cars i've got more than enough power........................ FOR NOW. I'd like to get about 350 in the end.
MY thoughts exactly...but I still love my car.

Quick Reply: 96 GT, the first of the 4.6's