4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need some Help. I Think I killed My engine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:46 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Need some Help. I Think I killed My engine!

I decided to put a couple of lash adjusters in today on the passenger side head. when i got it back together and started the engine It started running like CRAP. I sounds like it is missing very badly and When i cut it off after a couple of minutes it smelled like rotten eggs all around the car. I noticed some smoke coming from the passenger tail pipe and it was what smelled like the rotten eggs. Any help would be great.
A question wich may have nothing to do with this problem, but i noticed one time it kinda had the "misfire" type thing going on and i switched the 3 and 4 plug wires around and it ran fine. Why in the world would it matter wich plug went to wich cilynder? or could i have a faulty pack or wire. Is there a way to test the pack or wire? Remember, i have the non cop distributor system, i got the 2 coil packs.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You didnt mix up the firing order on the coil pack did you? When you installed the lash adjusters did you leave the cam and chain on?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

You screwed up the firing order.. thats my bet. be a little more carefull next time..mis properly installed lash adjusters won't cause a miss and cause your car to smell like rotten eggs (a classic sign of a miss) Either that, or when you installed the lash adjusters you screwed up the engine timing but unless you pulled the timing chain or cam off, this is impossible..unless you got a 1 out of 100 chance of jumping timing.
You can check the coil pack itself with an OHM meter.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Well i didnt take the cam off......but i did break a cam retainer bolt but i took the one out that is the odd ball one in the very back and put it were the other one was...but i dont think that has anything to do with it. When you say screwed the firing order up.... what do you mean? On the coil packs each spot can go to two cylinders. 3 and 4 are swappable and so on. each cylinder has a companion clylinder right?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by russ98stang
Well i didnt take the cam off......but i did break a cam retainer bolt but i took the one out that is the odd ball one in the very back and put it were the other one was...but i dont think that has anything to do with it. When you say screwed the firing order up.... what do you mean? On the coil packs each spot can go to two cylinders. 3 and 4 are swappable and so on. each cylinder has a companion clylinder right?
So wait, when you swapped the wires you didnt swap the wire on the coil end as well? Theres your miss
Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

??? not following..... On each coil pack (theres only 2) It has four prongs and 2 numbers per prong. both coil packs look identical with the same numbers on each one. So can you not take a wire to 3 or four if the coil pack has 3 and four written on it? let me go and check the wires and make sure they are right, " I'LL BE BACK" <---ARNOLD
Old 12-13-2008, 06:00 PM
mustangman36578
2nd Gear Member

yep the wires can only go to one cylinder. not interchangeable and you should probably get a new bolt for that cam cradle. they are only about $2 and some change a piece and you dont want that cam to be moving around at all.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Well i went out and checked it and its right..... dont know what the hell has happend.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Check that coil pack dawg. Bust the ohm meter out and check the coil.
Your misfiring and 99% of the time that means ignition problems.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:06 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know what im supposed to be getting in ohm's?

Quick Reply: Need some Help. I Think I killed My engine!