4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Synthetic vs. Conventional on a 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FixFalcon
Full synthetic oil is just better.....period. If you have a newer Mustang, don't be a cheap-*** bitch...get the full synthetic.
amen,
I spend $60 a year on oil for my gt, I t hink it is worth that to me.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

lol @ the how many sixxers like their car enough to put synthetic oil in it comment.
I started a war in the general tech section not too long ago lol. Those guys actually buy wheels, tuners and stuff..they even defend those POS engines. They have this m11a1 something something 11111 charger that makes your car sound like a weed wacker (i'm not even kidding) that they use to talk smack with lol.
On the plus note, i think my aunt may be buying a mustang too.. a v6. Maybe i can convince her to let me mod it *sneaky look*
Old 12-18-2008, 11:20 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

.......^ LOL...LOL ^
Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
I started a war in the general tech section not too long ago lol. Those guys actually buy wheels, tuners and stuff..they even defend those POS engines.
My first mustang was a 6er, because i needed the gas mileage for my first year in college. Granted they arent very quick, but i never had any problems with the engine, tranny, or rearend. Maybe it was because i only used full synthetic fluids . it was a great little car, and i was able to give it to my little brother, but i would never say that it was fast, but it scooted me around fine, and my brother hasnt had any problems either.

I loved that car, and actually we have plans to do a split port swap, forged rotating assembly, new rearend, exhaust, and an a$$ load of nitrous.

we can get all of the parts for about a quarter of my Cobra mods,and he will be beating GTs all day long (unless they are modded), so I cant rag on them too much.....sorry for the threadjack.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 AM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

+6-7....whatever....

I switched to synthetic @ 140K miles, and have not had one single problem(knock on wood) since then....this is for my 5.2L Jeep Grand....but the concept is the same.

I have not had a problem with the engine/tranny since switching. A little more "pep", but I'm sure that is all in my mind.

I just know, from my experience + reading A LOT about it from others; that it is superior to regular. I just feel that I "owe" it to my car at (170k+ miles) too just "slack off" now b/c its a high mileage vehicle.....treat your car right, and it will treat you right....and she has not let my down once.

Just got in from doing from all wheel drive donuts/drifts....only because its cold and rainy, other wise I couldn't spin a tire if my life depended on it on dry pavement. Sooo much fun seeing all four spinning.......nvm

mmmk...starting to ramble again. Go synthetic, it is superior to regular...I just think that it WILL help with the overall reliability; regardless of the engine....errr...well most....just spend the extra 15-20 bucks on the car that (most of you) depend on, it will help; if not, than switch back....no big deal

Just my two cents

btw, running Mobil 1 now; but switching too Royal Purple in about 500 miles....just heard WAY too much about it to pass it up....even my dad heard about it and recommend it; and he is defiantly not motorhead...

Last edited by clentonz; 12-19-2008 at 03:05 AM.