4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Front defroster doesn't remove moisture from windshield??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
marker227
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Front defroster doesn't remove moisture from windshield??

Okay, so here's my problem...

I have a 97 Mustang GT and when I turn on my defroster with the air on MAX and the heat on full my front windshield doesn't loose the moisture it builds up on the inside.

You can actually write your name on the windshield because there's so much moisture build up... The side windows are effected too, but it's mostly the main windshield I'm concerned about.

This is a problem because when I am driving at night, any amount of light from street lights, cars, ect. will reflect off my windshield causing me to be semi-blinded. Periodically I'll have to wipe the inside of the windshield down with a towel as I'm driving just so I can see.

I've tried turning the heat on all the way and turning the dial to "MAX AC", but it doesn't do anything different and the air doesn't even come out towards the windshield.

Don't be confused with frost. It DOES get rid of snow/frost on the OUTSIDE. The inside is just more difficult...

This also only happens on cold nights.. I think around 60F and below it happens. I'm not 100% sure though.

The car has been serviced. All the coolant levels, ect. are fine.

What do you think I should do?

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/S-D-450150-1/

http://www.safetycentral.com/12vomiceauwi.html

What do you think about using this?

Last edited by marker227; 12-16-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

turn the dial from max ac to the left all the way it should get rid of it.the air should then come out of the vents near the window in the dash. your thinking of the defrost for the rear window.

Last edited by Pohatu18; 12-17-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: a pic i suck at explaining :P
Old 12-17-2008, 06:38 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Is your Air Conditioning working properly? The Defroster uses the Air conditioning to dry the air . So if you Air does not work your defrost will not work properly
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 AM
marker227
1st Gear Member

This thread is for my FRONT windshield only.

Yes, my AC works properly. My car has been serviced. I'm not sure what's going on. It's been this way since I bought the car.

Originally Posted by Pohatu18
turn the dial from max ac to the left all the way it should get rid of it.the air should then come out of the vents near the window in the dash. your thinking of the defrost for the rear window.

I have done that... Nothing happens. I'm not trying to defrost the rear windshield.

Last edited by marker227; 12-17-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

wat? the defroster runs through the A/C? then why is the air hot that comes out? jus never heard of that ive had two cars with a/c units that dont work and defrost still does but the problem is just simple science there is moisture in your car and when it gets warm in there it condenses on the windows. one thing u can try is running the car till all the mositure is off the windows. then parking it dont ever park it with the moisture on the windows then itll still be there the next day its nothing wrong with ur car its the air inside the car
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

defroster uses the A/C to dehumidify the air
Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 PM
marker227
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by isjoining
defroster uses the A/C to dehumidify the air
It's not working completely though. It DOES defrost the ice on the OUTSIDE only. The inside is semi-clear, but I can not remove all the moisture from the windshield.

I've tried different temperature combinations... I've tried the A/C as well. I'm running out of ideas.

It seems that this happens the most when it's cold outside or damp.

It's not that the car builds moisture from overnight. I mean it does, but most of it goes away when the engine temp warms up and I have the defroster on full blast. Like I said, I just can't get rid of it all and I can't drive safely because of it.

Would a mini 12v windshield heater help at all?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Default Leaky heater core?

If you have a very small leak in your heater core, you could have some moisture in your ducting. This would explain why when you use defrost, you are not getting rid of the moisture on the inside of the windshield, you are actually blowing moisture out of the vents. Just a thought...
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
marker227
1st Gear Member

It seems that it gets rid of some of the moisture, but not enough... I mean I can write my name on the windshield .

Do you have any thoughts on 12v windshield heaters?

What do you propose to deal with this issue? I don't want to go through another winter with this same problem as I did before.

Last edited by marker227; 12-17-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:47 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Don't go waisting $ on gimmicks.
If your A/C is working properly and your still having a problem you have excess moister in your car somewhere. Are your carpets wet where your feet go?

Quick Reply: Front defroster doesn't remove moisture from windshield??