4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hole in TB butterfly...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Default Hole in TB butterfly...

FYI: Some Mustang TB's have a hole in the butterfly and some don't? I P&P'd one from E-bay and installed it last night. Idle is crazy even after turning the screw and verifying the TPS. Bottom line: My original butterfly did NOT have a hole to allow extra air in at idle and the Ebay OEM butterfly does so my computer and IAC and system in general are now getting too much air. I'll try and block the IAC off even more to compensate and hope that I don't run to rich. Though I'd post this FYI for any other do-it-yourselfers.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: Hole in TB butterfly...

Yeah, my MAC has one and I freaked out too.... The orig owner had some type of mettalic tape over the hole. I took it off and all is well.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:21 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

I thought about plugging the hole at least temporarily with tape or whatever but am nervous about putting anything near that TB throat that could come loose. That metalic tape sticks well and holds up to temp extremes though I guess.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:41 AM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

did you try to reset the base idle?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:09 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

I tried turning that screw thing that sets the butterfly more closed and that did help a tiny bit. I checked the Predator and it is still programed for 680 or whatever it always is. Yeah, the problem is that it's getting more air through the butterfly now in addition to the air it gets from the IAC, breathers or PCV and whatever. I will experiment today and take it on a long trip to my friend's house.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14 AM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

By just turning the screw wont set the base idle. You have to disconnect the IAC motor than set the idle as low as it can go without stalling, about 500rpms. Then disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Reconnect the IAC and battery then start her up. I would try this first.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: tomabram

By just turning the screw wont set the base idle. You have to disconnect the IAC motor than set the idle as low as it can go without stalling, about 500rpms. Then disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Reconnect the IAC and battery then start her up. I would try this first.

Actually you need to disconnect the IAC Bypass plug and set the idle to 600 rpms and when you plug it back it the rpms should kick up to 750-800. When you unplug it the car should either almost die or idle up depending on how the base idle is set with the new throttle body.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:11 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

ORIGINAL: tomabram

Actually you need to disconnect the IAC Bypass plug and set the idle to 600 rpms and when you plug it back it the rpms should kick up to 750-800. When you unplug it the car should either almost die or idle up depending on how the base idle is set with the new throttle body.

No, what I said was correct. If you dont disconnect the battery to reset the computer your wasting your time beacuse just disconnecting the IAC WONT reset the base idle. Plus you have to set the idle as LOW as possible. If you can get it to 400 without it stalling great.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

OR, you can back out the idle screw all the way, reset the computer and hope for the best. worked for me.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:52 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

OR, you can back out the idle screw all the way, reset the computer and hope for the best. worked for me.
Yeah but when you back out the idle screw all the way the butterfly catches on the TB.

Quick Reply: Hole in TB butterfly...