4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 Cobra Questions and Times

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM
flowmastamatt

Default 2001 Cobra Questions and Times

I'm looking at buying a 2001 cobra and was wondering what kind of times that usually run. I've tried to research but have seen anywhere from 13.2-14.00. Anyways the one I'm looking at has 110k miles, ORX, flowmaster cat back (I think 40's but I'm not sure), centerforce clutch and et streets. What could I expect to run with that set up. Again I know its not exact but what would be an idea of where it should be? Also what else can I do as far as bolt-ons? I'm getting and intake and 4.10s next but what about after that? I've heard some horror stories about pulleys, but what do you guys think of those? So maybe a throttle body? Or porting the intake? Also from what I've heard for $700 for headers and PIA to install them isn't worth it so any ideas? And lastly how much does it normally cost to buy gears and get them installed?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

if you dont mind me asking, how much is this costing you? The 99/01 cobras do not seem to bring very much money, at least not around here. The reason I am asking is because I have seen a lot of them for sale with way less miles for a good average price.

Just asking for reliability purposes (i have nothing against higher mileage cars, I just dont want to see you getting screwed).

Now...if you buy the car, it is probably a low-mid 13 sec. car depending on how hard its been beaten and how good of a driver you are.

Mods should consist of some 373/410 gears, a drop in K&N, short throw shifter. Then save your pennies for some form of boost and some suspension work (springs/shocks/struts, control arms, subframe connectors, etc.). O and you should look into reinforcing that rear. With ET streets and a better gear your wallet will appreciate some IRS braces at the least and if you have the cash, toss in some 31 splines.

If anythig else comes to mind I will edit or post later, hope it helps.

EDIT: Don't waste your time with a throttle body or porting the intake. I wouldn't mess with the headers to start off. But when you do look for them used as it will save you a lot of money and if you have any patience you can install them yourself (if patience isn't a strong quality, then use the money you saved buying them used to get them installed lol) Gears will normally run you about $200-$250 for them and an install kit, if you shop around (ebay...or here). Install seems to vary greatly, but for the money they are the best bang for the buck...and I don't think anyone will disagree with me on that.

Last edited by tws1098; 01-06-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
flowmastamatt

the guy was asking 9000 for it, but then he lost a crap load in the stock market and now he has a baby on the way so he lowered it to 7500. then I offered him 6500 for it and he said he could take it. So I'm getting it for 6500. As of right now my plan is to get a shifter, then an intake, then gears. I'm leaning towards 4.10 for gears. But how do you re-calibrate the speedo for those?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

if you have bigger plans for the car, just do yourself a favor and buy a sniper tuning kit. You will not be disappointed...as it allows for a lot of adjustability and you dont have to send out a handheld or pay to download tunes. You just make your own...and as many of them as you want. That will get your speedo fixed and give you a mild tune to help with power and efficiency.

I would strongly recommend saving some money by just getting a drop in K&N filter rather than a full CAI kit. If you don't have a power adder of some sort you will not see the kind of gains that most companies advertise.

EDIT: And if you can get it for around $6k that doesnt sound like a bad deal at all. It would not be a bad idea to have someone look over the car (your local mechanic), as it may save you a lot of money and frustration. If the guy does not agree to some sort of inspection, then it is not a car you want to be buying.

Last edited by tws1098; 01-06-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
flowmastamatt

My friend is coming who is a mechanic so he's going to look over the car really good. And as far as the blot on's I was think i'm going to go with a jlt cai, mgw for the short shifter and probably Richmond gears, after that i think i'd probably invest in a tuner like the one you said and some suspension stuff. But before I get ahead of myself I need to get the car first. So how weak is the IRS? And how much do 01 cobra weigh?

Last edited by flowmastamatt; 01-06-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Get FRPP gears. consider 4.30's as i hear those are good for your model year cobra
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
iMTB
2nd Gear Member

For a 4v get 4.30s.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
Get FRPP gears. consider 4.30's as i hear those are good for your model year cobra
+1 the FRPP ones will be cheaper and from what I hear, more cooperative (gear whine).

And Its cool if you have your mind set on getting a CAI but I strongly suggest putting the money elsewhere.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
flowmastamatt

And Its cool if you have your mind set on getting a CAI but I strongly suggest putting the money elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

thanks for helping me out so far, honestly you've been a great help. And yeah for some reason i've pretty much got my mind set on getting the jlt rai, but thanks for not being a d-bag like most people and respecting my opinion. But again does anybody know how much the 01 cobras weigh?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

A quick 99/01 primer....by POISND U

M/Ts and 110,000 miles.....I promise you that car has been beat on. Hard.

Before you drop any coin, get a compression and leakdown done. The valve seals are notorious for going bad and blue puffs of smoke at startup are very common on 99/01s. Not the end of the world, but a PITA to fix.

Before you get gears, decide on whether or not there's a SRA swap in the future and how you want to use the car. 4.10s minimum. IRS install: $700+. SRA install $250ish.

SVTPerformance.com - Bookmark it now.

03 take off Bilstiens are common and cheap. Do it.

01s have 31 spline rears. The rears are strong until you get wheelhop. Get out of the throttle before the pumpkin explodes. If you're gonna drag the car and keep the IRS for awhile, buy a brace.

Get a JLT CAI. For 99/01s, there is nothing else. 2Vs get dick from a CAI, 4Vs love to breathe. Easy 10-15 hp, before the tune.

I've had my Steeda pulleys on for 2 years/25K. A year on my old 02 GT. No issues.

Get an MGW now, thank me later.

Subframe connectors should be one of your first mods.

Ported intakes (talk to Nazman on SVTP) are around $400 and will get 15+hp on a full bolt on car. Wait until later....

DISCLAIMER:

****POISND U is not responsible for any damage to yourself or your vehicle should you choose to take this advice. He has done it himself and so have many others, but your results may vary. By reading this disclaimer, you hereby agree to realse him of any and all damages or injuries to yourself or your vehicle resulting from his advice. Offer not valid in some states, check your local laws. Offer expires 12/31/2009.

Quick Reply: 2001 Cobra Questions and Times