4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question re: O2 sensors and offroad X-pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 AM
PassingU

Default Question re: O2 sensors and offroad X-pipe.

Ok, first to clear up my mistake in my first thread here. I found out that my cousin's husband's GT is a '94, not a '99. I don't know where I got the impression it was a '99, but I finally found out otherwise.

Anyway, I was talking to him about the offroad x-pipe and he asked about 02 sensors. The X-pipe I found appeared to have a bung for the O2, but another thread I saw about installing a catted X vs. an offroad X alluded to the fact that the O2 sensors are completely negated with the O/R X.
Can someone confirm this??
Also, assuming that you DO/CAN reuse the O2's on the offroad X, the engine light WILL trip, right, due to the change in "quality" of the exhaust?? This was an issue on imports, but I'm not getting a clear and concise answer from my searches on whether or not this would be the case with his GT.

If so, will a custom tune take care of that? He's ademate about not having his engine light on.

Thanks, again, in advance.

Last edited by PassingU; 01-07-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

im not sure exactly what youre trying to ask....if you put an o/r pipe on your car, you will have a check engine light....you can fix it with MIL eliminators or with a tuner (shut off the rear 02 sensors)
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 AM
PassingU

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
im not sure exactly what youre trying to ask....if you put an o/r pipe on your car, you will have a check engine light....you can fix it with MIL eliminators or with a tuner (shut off the rear 02 sensors)
Well, you must have figured it out because I believe you answered my question. LOL!!
I tend to ramble fairly often in my posts...sort of "over-inform", if you will.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

yes, yes you did.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As stated above, with an o/r H or X-pipe you will get an SES light, and this can be fixed with MIL eliminators or via a tune.

You can make your own MIL eliminators for $5 or so (click here), however MIL eliminators work by filtering the signal from the rear O2 sensors so as to trick the engine's computer--this means that the rear sensors must be installed and working properly or obviously there will be no signal to filter...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
speed_monkey
1st Gear Member

The X-pipe I found appeared to have a bung for the O2, but another thread I saw about installing a catted X vs. an offroad X alluded to the fact that the O2 sensors are completely negated with the O/R X.
The O2 sensors still go in the xpipe, they will just read different with no cats thus the MIL eliminators or turning the rear sensor off.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Just to verify for you..... The front or upstream O2s are called O2 sensors. The rear or downstream are reffered O2 monitors or cat monitors. It can get confusing sometimes trying to understand what ones people are talking about.

I haven't worked/played on a 94-95 in some time now. I don't think they had rear monitors. That was when Ford did EEC change from the eec4.

Casey
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Those are the functional designations for the front and rear sensors, and the firmware routines they feed, however they are identical components, just plain ol' platinum/zirconia O2 sensors. Go into any FLAPS and ask for an O2 or "cat" monitor and they won't have a clue as to what you are asking for.

Calling a cow's tail a leg does not create a 5-legged cow...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:43 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Very true Cliff. But that what I " grew up" with in the Ford dealer world. They are different though.....
Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

all of you are forgetting one thing...its a 94 GT not a 99. OBDI not OBDII.

the 94 GT only has 2 O2 sensors instead of 4. these sensors are in front of the cats on the stock pipe so there should be no problems switching to an o/r pipe. just swap the 2 o2s over to the new o/r pipe. no CEL should come on and no tune is needed.

Quick Reply: Question re: O2 sensors and offroad X-pipe.