4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trouble shooting help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
sainthk
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Trouble shooting help

I need find a way to trouble shot the Ignition Coils. After putting my engine back together she came up with a miss-fire.

She has no power, when you press on the gas she just stutters bad. Took her to get tuned and she only put down 240hp

Last edited by sainthk; 01-10-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sainthk
I need find a way to trouble shot the Ignition Coils. After putting my engine back together she came up with a miss-fire.

She has no power, when you press on the gas she just stutters bad. Took her to get tuned and she only put down 240hp
use a scanner and find out which hole is misfiring, than switch the coil to a known good hole, if the problem follows you have found your bad coil.......not really a good idea to dyno a car thats missing, who ever did the tunning for you should know better
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
sainthk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by forcefeed
use a scanner and find out which hole is misfiring, than switch the coil to a known good hole, if the problem follows you have found your bad coil.......not really a good idea to dyno a car thats missing, who ever did the tunning for you should know better
I did you a scanner to find out which plug was misfiring and it never would show me which one was bad. Everyone I talked to told me a tune would fix my problem. The code just kept pulling up to lean.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sainthk
I did you a scanner to find out which plug was misfiring and it never would show me which one was bad. Everyone I talked to told me a tune would fix my problem. The code just kept pulling up to lean.
you should have put that in the first post, you wrote it stutters, if its actually that lean you should not even be trying to dyno it, how do you know its lean, do you have a wide to monitor it or are you just guessing. who ever is doing your tuning should be able to help you with this
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
sainthk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayC
Mine had the same problem after the cam install. My tuner smoothed it out with a few tweeks. Hell I thought it would throw the driveshaft out sometimes
This quote was under the Bucking and Surging discussion.

I had my SCT XCAL3 hooked up to her to get the codes. See i thought my tune would help but its not.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

There is no code for a misfire? or just a code for running lean? What exactly is the code, if you're car is leaning out bad enough to buck and surge the car definatly do not gas that motor hard or you're gonna have a problem. First step is to go over all the plumbing and wirring and make sure everything is back in place properly and look more into the code its throwing and go from there.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 AM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
There is no code for a misfire? or just a code for running lean? What exactly is the code, if you're car is leaning out bad enough to buck and surge the car definatly do not gas that motor hard or you're gonna have a problem. First step is to go over all the plumbing and wirring and make sure everything is back in place properly and look more into the code its throwing and go from there.
what are you talking about,there is 9 different codes for engine miss fire as well as one for a random misfire, if the motor is running lean enough you will see a p0171 or p0174 or both toegther
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
sainthk
2nd Gear Member

what are you talking about,there is 9 different codes for engine miss fire as well as one for a random misfire, if the motor is running lean enough you will see a p0171 or p0174 or both toegther
Yes and i know this. but the code is not coming up. Im going to start a new thread and show you the update.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
lawlbear
1st Gear Member

that sucks good luck with fixing that
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

He said he isn't getting any of the codes.............