4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
MustangMike88
1st Gear Member

Default Superchargers

I have my basic bolt on's listed below. Other than that im a stock 96gt.
I am looking in to putting a supercharger in this summer but am wondering if my stock engine will handle it?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

As long as the miles arent crazy high and it has been well maintained. I think you should be fine, especially with low boost. What supercharger was you thinking about going with? In situations like this I normally tell people to do a PI swap. Or better yet since you have the money for a supercharger. Why dont you buy a built short block, use PI heads or aftermarket, and some nice cams. And make similar to what you would with a supercharger and not have to worry about it. What do you think?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

You will be fine.

I run 11 psi through mine with 118k on it....

If I were you I would put the supercharger on there untill your npi goes that go PI.

You definately need to get a pi intake atleast....pi intake was worth like 30 rwhp with a blower. Pi cams should be worth another 10-15 rwhp.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
You will be fine.

I run 11 psi through mine with 118k on it....

If I were you I would put the supercharger on there untill your npi goes that go PI.

You definately need to get a pi intake atleast....pi intake was worth like 30 rwhp with a blower. Pi cams should be worth another 10-15 rwhp.
how can you tell someone they will be fine when you have no clue how many miles are on it and how well it was maintained?

11psi on a stock short block with 118k on the clock? can you say time bomb?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
how can you tell someone they will be fine when you have no clue how many miles are on it and how well it was maintained?

11psi on a stock short block with 118k on the clock? can you say time bomb?
Your Misinformed

The guy I bought my blower from had 315K+ on his car, he ran 12 and then 15 psi on his 97 gt from 115k to 315k.

If the tune is right he should be fine. Ive been running like this for like a year.

If the tune is good and the engine is in good condition now, he will definately be fine with 8-10 psi.

You need to realize that boost is a measure of restriction.

12 psi on a npi car is comparable to 8 psi on a PI engine in power

Too much power will kill the rods/pistons, its not the boost

If he wants to boost his engine he is going to have to live with the fact this his engine wont last forever.

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 01-14-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Your Misinformed

The guy I bought my blower from had 315K+ on his car, he ran 12 and then 15 psi on his 97 gt from 115k to 315k. If the tune is right he should be fine. Ive been running like this for like a year. If the tune is good and the engine is in good condition now, he will definately be fine with 8-10 psi. You need to realize that boost is a measure of restriction.

12 psi on a npi car is comparable to 8 psi on a PI engine in power

Too much power will kill the rods/pistons, its not the boost

If he wants to boost his engine he is going to have to live with the fact this his engine wont last forever.
So much wrong with what you said I dont know where to start. The guy you bought the blower from he may have 315k on his car as in the body, but I am not going to believe for a second he is pushing 15 psi on his orginal motor, orginal bock, pistons etc... Your nuts for even saying that. You dont know what condition his motor is in, so you dont know if it will be fine. I think everyone here knows what boost means. Save the lesson for the ricer forums. Your sentence "Too much power will kill the rods/pistons, its not the boost" what do you think makes that power....THE BOOST!!! And finally a engine well maintain, and running low boost is just as reliable as any other engine. We all know any engine wont last forever. Please dont give people advise when you dont know what your talking about.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dennis_112
So much wrong with what you said I dont know where to start. The guy you bought the blower from he may have 315k on his car as in the body, but I am not going to believe for a second he is pushing 15 psi on his orginal motor, orginal bock, pistons etc... Your nuts for even saying that. You dont know what condition his motor is in, so you dont know if it will be fine. I think everyone here knows what boost means. Save the lesson for the ricer forums. Your sentence "Too much power will kill the rods/pistons, its not the boost" what do you think makes that power....THE BOOST!!! And finally a engine well maintain, and running low boost is just as reliable as any other engine. We all know any engine wont last forever. Please dont give people advise when you dont know what your talking about.
Well, he was right that boost is a measure of restriction and not power. He is also right that the same blower with the same size pulley will make less boost on a PI vs a NPI. Rather than doing the full PI swap and increasing the static compression I would install a PI intake and PI cams. This will keep the cylinder pressures down.

That being said, most stock motors loose a ring land because of cylinder pressure. Keep the boost below 10psi and you will be fine. I would have a hard time believing that someone put 200k on a motor with 15psi unless they never actually got into boost.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Dennis, you be wrong.

You should come race me to see how ricer my NPI is.

If you knew one thing you would know that 4.6 engines have limits. The rods and pistons generally cant handle anything over 400 rwhp.

So it may take 14 psi on a modded NPI to hit 400 rwhp vs 10 psi on a PI car to hit 400rwhp.
Running 12 psi on his NPI wouldnt create a problem for the rods and pistons becuase his car still wouldnt be close to the 4.6's power limit.

He should stay at 10 psi or below just to be safe.

More boost does not always equal more power.

There is ways to run higher boost levels and run more fuel/ less timing to keep the power down.

He was running the procharger FMU and said he ran 12-15 psi. This doesnt mean his car was making all kinds of power, It was still a NPI. He ran 13.0 at like 108.5 mph with 12 psi.

My car with 11 psi and comparable mods trapped 112-113 compared to his 108.5 just becuase my car actually has a fuel system and is tuned rather than an FMU that just dumps loads of fuel to make it safe.

Again, Boost is a measure of restriction. More boost does not always mean more power.

He had like 315k on the engine when he was done.

Had the blower from 115 to 315k and was running 12 psi, then 15 psi he told me.

He goes by Erich over at corral....the threads are old as hell and all I can find is this one. I dont think he ever beat the car and he kept the rpms down. I think he just liked haveing the boost come one early so he could have a lot of mid range power.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=928999
Feel free to email him if you want proof.

I have no reason to lie. I run 11 psi daily and beat the hell out of my car. I have a good tune though.

Do what you like but you asked and I posted my opinion and experiences with boost

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 01-15-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

A car using 14 psi to get to 400 is more likely to break compared to a car using 12psi to 400. The 12 psi will be more dependable.

More boost most creates more heat. More heat helps promote pre detonation. Pre detonation is what breaks rings, ringlands, pistons, and bends rods.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jivepepper
A car using 14 psi to get to 400 is more likely to break compared to a car using 12psi to 400. The 12 psi will be more dependable.

More boost most creates more heat. More heat helps promote pre detonation. Pre detonation is what breaks rings, ringlands, pistons, and bends rods.
Definately. Would it be fair to say that if you run 10 psi through a NPI and make 350 rwhp@ 6k and run 8 psi through a PI with cams making 425 RWHP at 6500 that the PI engine, even though running less boost, would still be under far more pressure from revving higher and more power should mean higher cylinder pressure right?

That is more of the point I was getting at....more boost will definately create more heat and could destroy the engine but would it really be a problem to run 12 psi on a stock NPI and put down 325 rwhp?

It really comes down to whether or not he can afford to replace the engine.

If not, stick with 8 psi. If he can, why not run a little more boost.

Quick Reply: Superchargers