4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1st time at track - comments?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 PM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1st time at track - comments?

ORIGINAL: 02stanger

After owning the car for a few months now, I was finally able to get out to the track last night. The GT is bone stock and at the ripe old age of 43 I had never driven on a track in my life. First pass was 15.4 at 94 mph. I ran a total of 8 passes and with the exception of one (16.1) I was really consistent in the low 15's. My last pass was my best at 15.1 and 94.08 mph.

I know that the stang should run in the mid-14's stock so I'm figuring the problem is the driver. I played around with some things with my driving but did not make any changes to the car itself. I did runs with the traction control on and off and it didn't seem to make any real difference either way. I did get the feeling that I was spinning off the line quite a bit on some of the passes but wasn't sure how to correct that.

It took a little while to learn what to watch while driving down the track. On my first pass, I never looked at the tach once and felt the rev limiter kick in at each gear change. Didn't let that mistake happen again.

Any help you can give an old man on how to get down the track a little faster until I can make some mods to the car would be most appreciated. Reaction time, even for an old guy didn't seem to bad. Never red lighted and my worst reaction time was .752 on my second pass. All in all, had a great time and as long as I don't blow up the car, can still get to work. (sure made the wife nervous though).

I ran Like a 15.2 my first time too. You just need more seat time. I ran a best of 14.4 with a lot of wheel spin.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM
mike3219
1st Gear Member

power shifting is ok as long as you dont do it very often. It should be saved for at the track or racing. What you do is hold down the gas while shifting. It does put a little more stress on your tranny but if done only once in a great while you should be fine... also depends on how many miles your tranny has on it. If you have high milage you should stay away from it.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

i know that everyone says powershifting is having the gas down the whole time your shifting, but the way i do it is i release a bit of gas while the clutch is down, but as im releasing the clutch after ive got into gear, i hammer back down,

that way im never close to the limiter, but im still over the rpm range it woudl fall into if i werent powershifting,,
hope that made sense

oh well, i can't wait for my first runs,,, hopnig for something right at 14 for a first night out...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:45 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: snlpa

ORIGINAL: 02stanger

After owning the car for a few months now, I was finally able to get out to the track last night. The GT is bone stock and at the ripe old age of 43 I had never driven on a track in my life. First pass was 15.4 at 94 mph. I ran a total of 8 passes and with the exception of one (16.1) I was really consistent in the low 15's. My last pass was my best at 15.1 and 94.08 mph.

I know that the stang should run in the mid-14's stock so I'm figuring the problem is the driver. I played around with some things with my driving but did not make any changes to the car itself. I did runs with the traction control on and off and it didn't seem to make any real difference either way. I did get the feeling that I was spinning off the line quite a bit on some of the passes but wasn't sure how to correct that.

It took a little while to learn what to watch while driving down the track. On my first pass, I never looked at the tach once and felt the rev limiter kick in at each gear change. Didn't let that mistake happen again.

Any help you can give an old man on how to get down the track a little faster until I can make some mods to the car would be most appreciated. Reaction time, even for an old guy didn't seem to bad. Never red lighted and my worst reaction time was .752 on my second pass. All in all, had a great time and as long as I don't blow up the car, can still get to work. (sure made the wife nervous though).

I ran Like a 15.2 my first time too. You just need more seat time. I ran a best of 14.4 with a lot of wheel spin.
He dosent need more seat time. That wont help. He has an Automatic so he wont get much more out of it.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

[/quote]

He dosent need more seat time. That wont help. He has an Automatic so he wont get much more out of it.

[/quote]

Re-read all the posts HE HAS A 5 SPEED!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:05 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

Oh, my bad. Read it wrong.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:31 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

LOL
Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

LOL
yeah. LOL hahaha.....
Old 06-07-2005, 01:22 AM
silvergt
2nd Gear Member

i bet its more time , i really suck i haven't got any timeslips its one of those things that probally only come wiht pratice , i bet took mario andredie a long time and alot of practice to do what he does(i know hes not a drag racer) and i bet john force didn't start out good either it just came time and practice, thats why when its late and im bored i will practice alot more to get better like everyone said more seat time
Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

10.2 1/8 mile is pretty lousy. A 99-03 GT should be running mid 9s in stock trim and closer to 9 flat with a 5spd.

Quick Reply: 1st time at track - comments?