4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang GT to Cobra = Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default Mustang GT to Cobra = Possible?

Right now I have a 2001 Mustang GT. I was wondering, what would it take to convert that car to a Cobra of that year, or any newer year?

Thanks in advance.

John M
Old 06-06-2005, 11:34 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Mustang GT to Cobra = Possible?

The motor, the tranny, the ecu, the wiring harness, new radiator, exhaust manifolds, & mid pipe. Thats basically what you would need for any swap from GT to Cobra minus a few odd and in things that you can pick up from a hardware store like nuts or bolts.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:14 PM
099gt
2nd Gear Member

probably not worth the money unless your doing it yourself
Old 06-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

If your stock motor goes,
If you know of a wrecked cobra with a good drive train,
If your friend has a V6 and wants to upgrade to a GT
If you know of a good shop that will do it for you at a fair price
If you've got the $
then yeah, go for it and don't look back.
Otherwise, it might just be cheaper to find an 01 cobra for sale and buy that.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

I'd also recommend an upgrade to 31 spline axels or IRS and cobra brakes and swapping in the cobra gauge cluster in addition to the stuff that jdanial mentioned.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:57 PM
cobra mike
1st Gear Member

oh its possible, but its cheeper to just buy a cobra

engine, transmissin, rear, hood, front bumper cover, rear bumper cover, gage cluster, emblems, seats, brakes, stering wheel, computer , wiring harness, front accessories and drives, if 03 or up you need even more stuff, like the heat exchanger, cheeper just to buy one.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

yea just look into buying an older one, ive seen alot of 96,97,and 98's go for under 10 grand, with decent miles.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:16 PM
terrytermite

What are the big differences between the GT and Cobra motors (both 4.6) besides the heads/intake? I didn't think that the internals would be different, and would be as simple as swapping heads/intake and computer (strictly for motor upgrade). Isn't that the same as the Mach1 and Bullit editions, GT with Cobra engine?
Does anyone make 32 valve heads to replace the 16 valve heads on stock GT, and is that worth the price ?
I've been looking to do the same thing, but wouldn't know the first place to start.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:42 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

well id buy all the body parts at a salvage yard or ebay, sc your current engine and be done with it. thats if you're looking for the style and power. engine swaps are expensive as hell, especially if you cant do the work yourself. for me my engine swap is at about 4500$ so far thats including the labor cost. and i did my research and youd be looking at around the same cost for putting in a cobra engine, except for me i didnt need a new tranny or anything real major. so i would highly reccomend just supercharging your engine rather than swapping in a cobra, then the body swapping should be a less than a grand.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:33 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

well id buy all the body parts at a salvage yard or ebay, sc your current engine and be done with it. thats if you're looking for the style and power. engine swaps are expensive as hell, especially if you cant do the work yourself. for me my engine swap is at about 4500$ so far thats including the labor cost. and i did my research and youd be looking at around the same cost for putting in a cobra engine, except for me i didnt need a new tranny or anything real major. so i would highly reccomend just supercharging your engine rather than swapping in a cobra, then the body swapping should be a less than a grand.
thats what im going to do...

Quick Reply: Mustang GT to Cobra = Possible?