4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED HELP!!! IMMEDIATELY PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 PM
irionman88

Default NEED HELP!!! IMMEDIATELY PLEASE!!!!

I have a 2000 gt 5 speed

I leave for basic training in 5 days. My mustang is being repainted next week by a local autobody school. All supplies are paid for and non refundable. I have brand new shocks and springs and tires and brakes all around. new indash tv/navigation. custom painted interior. new projector headlights and new fog lights new blacked out tail lights and new flowmaster 40's. all of the above was done in the last 2 months.

I was driving home today and my motor blew. Also my 3rd gear is gone. I love my stang and dont want all the above to be a waste. I found a conversion for a t56 at: http://www.ddperformance.com/T56%20Kit%2096-04.htm

I want to convert to a 03 or 04 cobra motor. Ive found several motors including blower but no intercooler at low mileage. But im unsure what parts i would need to do a complete swap.

I also have a auto mechanics school willing to install the motor and transmission for free so i just have to cover parts.

NEEDED:

I need a parts list

i would also greatly appreciate a some sort of a write up or how to if possible.

also a heads up of any problems they might run into

thanks and im looking for write ups and parts as we speak but i only have so much time and a unit is much more productive then an individual.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

you shouldn't need a whole lot, just the t-56 swap, the motor with no intercooler you need an aftermarket resoviour for the coolant and an aftermarket heat excahgner + the lines, other than that it should be very straightfoward, hopefully one of the guys who has done the swap will see this and post for you theres a few of them on the site
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

i think you are gonna need the ecu for the cobra too, maybe wiring harness not sure about that
Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 PM
irionman88

ya im looking all over the internet for write ups on it. There used to be a gt to cobra conversion website but its apparently shut down. I just have to make a decision by tuesday on weather to do the swap or purchase a new car. i have pretty much a new car other then motor and transmission so i figure it will be cheaper to do a swap then pay 20000 for a new car.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 PM
irionman88

i read that:

Best thing to do is reuse your GT wiring harness computer etc... or you will run into serious problems. You need to use one harness or the other. If you wanted to use cobra wiring you would have to change everywire. Main harness, Fender harness, under dash harness and 99 - 01 cobra computer. You need modify your gt harness a little bit then get chip so it works the best.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
i think you are gonna need the ecu for the cobra too, maybe wiring harness not sure about that

NONONO... He can't use another ECU because of the PATS system. Also remember that the PATS system is embedded in the dash cluster as well.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 AM
irionman88

so no ecu. aftermarket heat exchanger and reservoir and hoses so far
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM
irionman88

oh and ive also just finished shaving the trunk which was a exhausting process being SMC stuff and not metal.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:22 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
NONONO... He can't use another ECU because of the PATS system. Also remember that the PATS system is embedded in the dash cluster as well.
my bad...thats why i said "i think"...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:00 AM
mustangman36578
2nd Gear Member

keep the stock ECU and wiring harness. you need to reverse the polarity of the stock harness and lengthen it. as for a parts list you need cobra throttle, cruise control cable, coolant hoses, and intake system (stock CAI, or RAI). plus a retune because spark curve is off. i see questions about doing the 2v/4v swap at least once a week. i am currently working on a write up for doing this swap. it should be done in a day or so.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!! IMMEDIATELY PLEASE!!!!