4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is my clutch gone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

Default is my clutch gone?

Okay so I installed a steeda clutch adjuster and cable on my 00 GT, my car has a spec stage 1 on, before I replaced the adjuster and cable the pedal felt really stiff and the clutch grabed and the end of the pedal travel, by replacing the cutch cable and adjuster I was hoping for it to get better and start grabbing from the beginning, it got a little bit softer but it kept grabbing at the end of the travel.
Two weeks after I replaced the cutch cable and adjuster the pedal start to have a weird feeling, when I engaged 1st gear and reverse it seemed like the pedal would not release all the way as its supposed to, and I had to pull it and help it to release which made driving the car impossible. The car only did this like 4 times, it was gone once I drove it down the road, it just took me forever to get it out of the driveway. After this sometimes the clutch felt weird again, specially when it was releasing but it was not nearly as bad, this went away, sometimes I felt it sometimes I didnīt, I even thought it was me.

About a month after all this happened I kept feeling something weird when pressing the clutch pedal, it was like clicks and the same when it was releasing and finally one morning I got in the car to go to school and the clutch was slipping, specially in high gears, I felt it was slipping when I was getting in the highway, in 4th gear the rpms went up and the car wasnt pulling what it should, it felt like when you floor an automatic car. Anyway is my clutch gone? Could this be that the clutch got disadjusted? I have to drive it everyday, I try my best for it to not slip but sometimes its just impossible, today I was coming back from the school and I heard a noise, stopped the car, got out and I saw the box that covers the part of the clutch cable underneath the car, this makes me think that I probably didnīt do a good job replacing the clutch cable, it was really cold and my buddy heped me doing this, maybe we didnīt adjust the clutch right on the first place? This Saturday we are going to lift the car and see if we can readjust it and put that cover back on, you canīt adjust it much more though. Any ideas would be appreciated, I am kinda lost, I want to try every cheap fix before I go into a new clutch, I bought the car 3.5 months ago.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

can u chirp the wheels? if not bad clutch the car wont pull that hard in high gears especially at cruising rpms on the highway not unless u downshift but if you cant take off quikly and the engine jus revs high but no launch then u need to get a new clutch
Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

it slips badly no matter what I do, I have to drive at high rpms that way doesnt slip that much...a lot of downshifting
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

why not just take it to a local auto shop and have them check it out. I'd check the adjuster to make sure everything is right first.

How long have you had your clutch?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

yeah...Iīm going to try to readjust it this Saturday and see what happens, I bout the car about 4 months ago and the old owner said he replaced it a year ago...its a spec stage 1, maybe not enough for my GT
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

dam if its slippin all the time then its gonna prolly need to be replaced after this much driving keep us posted
Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
bigmike83
1st Gear Member

yeah def keep us posted. i was actually thinking of buying a spec. maybe not now
Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

hey Guys, I bought a SPEC stage 2 and it should be here today, Iīm replacing it this Saturday, I will let you guys know how it goes for sure, I did my research and Iīm 90% sure my clutch is worn out, specially now when it has been slipping for a while.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by joaquinGT
yeah...Iīm going to try to readjust it this Saturday and see what happens, I bout the car about 4 months ago and the old owner said he replaced it a year ago...its a spec stage 1, maybe not enough for my GT
What mods do you have? Is your car N/A?

I have a spec stage 1 in my car and I don't have any issues with it. I replaced mine about 5 months ago. I had the normal chatter of a new clutch at first but it went away.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

it sounds like you might have adjusted it to tightly. And it is causing the clutch to by slightly disengaged even when ur foot is not on the pedal. try lossening it. also when u put the clutch cable on the quadrant, did u put it on the one closest to the firewall?>

Quick Reply: is my clutch gone?