4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

do i have a tuune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM
PremiumFuelOnly

Default do i have a tuune?

My problem is that my car runs like garbage on anything but good 92 or 93, and my tail pipes get jet black. I changed plugs, it only has 60k on it.

heres the interesting part:

My registration doesnt say that i need an emmisions inspection, even though i live in an emmisons required county.

I was talking to a friend that works at an emmisions station and he said that when that usually happens it is a govt. issued car and they usually come with a tune in them.

l;m the third owner, the car originally came from texas, and then the guy i bought it off of got it from a local dealership. I know for a fact that he didnt tune it, but he did say that it runs like garbage on anything but premium.

I'm a ford mechanic, and a stae inspector, andi've never heard anything about a govt issued car, but it does clear up why i thought my car had a tune.

Has anyone else heard of govt issued cars having a tune??
Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

All new-edge Mustangs have a tune, they would not run otherwise. It may be that government purchased vehicles are delivered with other than the regular run of the mill OEM tune, however I would question how many new-edge Mustangs any government ever purchased--I've never seen one in the Southeast and I used to travel all over quite a bit. Any competent tuning shop will be able to download the tune and compare it to a stock tune for that boxcode.

Severe carbon buildup from its being driven only short trips, perhaps by a soccer mom, for the best part of its life could account for it's predilection toward premium fuel. Check the compression and see if it's abnormally high.

Dying front O2 sensors could also account for its running rich. As narrowband O2 sensors age their voltage output drops, but they still switch in closed loop--this erroneous low signal tells the PCM the mix is lean and the PCM compensates by adding fuel. Early failure of the O2 sensors is also consistent with a predominately short trip, lower speed service cycle.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:59 PM
tkechris

I've driven a lot through texas and noticed that many counties have mustangs on the police squads. Maybe you have an ex-police car? Did you do a carfax report when you bought the car?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Maybe it is a new edge transformer!!!AAAAH!HH!H! JK LMFAO! +1 for the carfax.
This will tell you all the history of the vehicle.
Also, listen to what cliffyK says, the man is a god d@mn mustang genius!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

When its a non stock tune in a situation like this there should be a door stick showing the calibration code. If the MAF is dirty/not reading well it will act just like you say though especially pinging at WOT.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Bullitt5339
1st Gear Member

Do the self test by holding in the trip button, then turning the key to run, but don't start it. If it flashes up D262 as one of the codes, then it has an aftermarket tune in it. If it was reprogrammed by Ford, there should be a sticker with a number on it under the hood, probably on the core support or in the door jamb. If you take that number to the Ford dealer, they can tell you what the reprogramming was.

If it's a factory Gov tune, just get the number off the computer itself, and you can research and match up the Code to what vehicle it was programmed for. Every specific tune for Ford vehicles has a different catch code.

So, to wrap it up:

do the self test, if the D262 code doesn't come up, then check for a sticker under the hood that notes a reprogramming. If there is none, get the catch code off the EEC, and that will tell you exactly what the program is for.

More than likely, you just have a problem somewhere. Carbon build-up, dirty MAF, bad IAT sensor, and a ton of other things will cause the same problem you have, and running a higher octane gas covers the problem up a bit.

Last edited by Bullitt5339; 02-05-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Did you gap the plugs correctly, and what plugs are you using? Have you cleaned the maf and air filter or replaced them yet? Now for the one that gets overlooked far too often, have you changed the front two o2 sensors yet?Try the whole SEAFOAM cleaning technique as well It cleans your intake, injectors, valves and pistons.